[Solved] Default paragraph spacing in template with 4.1.10

Discuss the word processor
jimjinphx

[Solved] Default paragraph spacing in template with 4.1.10

Post by jimjinphx »

Some time ago, I set up a template for recurring text documents with the font size and paragraph spacing I use repeatedly. When I updated to Version 4.1.10, that template continued working for the font size but not the spacing. Now as soon as I open a new document, it reverts back to the original default setting in Writer. I tried setting up various new templates and even searched for and deleted all previous iterations but still no success with a new template.

Any suggestions for correcting this issue would be most welcome.
Last edited by jimjinphx on Sat May 08, 2021 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Default paragraph spacing in template with AOO 4.1.0

Post by Bill »

How did you set up the template? Did you make it the default template? How do you open new documents? I just tested setting up a new default template in AOO 4.1.10 with modified font, font size and paragraph spacing and all three settings are in new documents.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

I followed these instructions exactly: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=1161

When I first open a new document, all the new template settings are in place. After trying to go to a second paragraph, the below spacing goes back to the default 0.08 instead of the 0.20 I prefer.

I open new documents usually clicking on the toolbar icon but the same thing happens even when I go back to the main menu. The template worked fine for some time before I downloaded 4.1.10. I just tried opening a new document four different ways with the same result; spacing looks fine when first opened then reverts to original default after start typing.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See if that helps: Formatting lost when pressing enter.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

If you changed the settings in the Default paragraph style in the template (the tutorial doesn't specify which styles to change) and the Apply Styles has been enabled (it's disabled by default), then the paragraph style is changed from the Default style to the Text body style when you press Enter. The Text body paragraph style inherits all settings from the Default paragraph style except for the top and bottom paragraph spacing. The bottom spacing for the Text body style is .08". That setting, coupled with enabling of the Apply Styles AutoCorrect option could explain the spacing change after you press Enter to start a new paragraph.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jimjinphx

Post by jimjinphx »

Thank you both. Unchecking Apply Styles did the trick.
OpenOffice 4.1.4
Windows 10