Border in Header works on only Right page

Discuss the word processor
posaune

Border in Header works on only Right page

Post by posaune »

I know exactly how to put a border in the header--such that the author name and title have a solid line between them and the body text on the page. However, when I follow these directions, they work perfectly on the RIGHT page style, but nothing happens at all on the LEFT page style. Any idea what might be causing this?
Apache Open Office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Border in Header works on only Right page

Post by Bill »

You know what you did, but we can only guess. Please upload a sample document.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
posaune

Post by posaune »

This is a print book formatted with LEFT and RIGHT style pages, different headers.

On the right page, under the book title, I open the page style box and go to the header tab. I click the MORE.... gray box at the bottom left. Under the 'user defined' and image of a box, I click on the arrows under the box so the line appears at the bottom of the box and then choose a line style from the drop down box beneath that. Click okay and okay again and the document now has a solid line running under the book title and the length of the header. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.

When I do the same on the left page, exact same steps, nothing happens. No line appears.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It works for me using the native ODT file format. It doesn't work using the foreign DOC format.
posaune

Post by posaune »

The document I'm working in is ODT.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

As said by Bill, we need a sample file to check. We don't need the whole document, just 2 pages showing the problem. See How to attach a document here?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The borders show in the header on both left and right pages of my sample file in AOO 4.1.9, AOO 4.1.10, LO 6.4.7.2 or LO 7.1.2.2.
Attachments
Headers.odt
(8.89 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Some time ago I had a problem on mirrored pages on a book-length text, with the left page header showing a different spacing from body text than the right page header, which had the desired spacing. I know I sorted out the problem, but am unsure of exactly how. My memory (fuzzy at this extent of time) was that I eventually had to define headers for Left Page, and for Right Page, and later reapply mirrored page style which seemed to be influenced by the spacings from the Left/Right Page definitions.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
posaune

Post by posaune »

Thank you. I'm working on reducing it to two pages and removing personal information. The forum has a post that tells me how to protect against 'undo' which says:

You can remove any saved change information using Edit > Changes > Accept or Reject > Accept All, then saving the document.

However, I don't have an option of Changes under my Edit tab. How do I block the undo feature?

Also-- in making a copy to reduce to the two pages, the underline shows up in the copy--and can't be removed.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

posaune wrote:Also-- in making a copy to reduce to the two pages, the underline shows up in the copy--and can't be removed.
Are you saying that the borders appear in the headers on the left page in the copy? If so, maybe you should just use the copy. The sample document that you upload should have the problem.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Save a copy of your file, then anonymize the copy and upload that here. In general, it's a very good idea to save a copy of your work before you make big changes, like replacing some text by other text, that might have unwanted side effects.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum