[Solved] Missing Figure field in Cross-refferences tab

Discuss the word processor
karolv

[Solved] Missing Figure field in Cross-refferences tab

Post by karolv »

Hi,
I need to create in the document that in the text there will be as ..."as shown on Figure x"... where x is automatic numbering referenced to text unde picture as "Figure x. Name of the figure".

As I know this can be created by Insert - Field - Cross-references and there should be Figure type Cross-reference. But it is not there.
The reason why I need it is that if I do manual figure numbering and I place another Figure between two, I have to renumber all figures numbers and in the text too. That is nightmare.

Why the figure type field is missing in the Cross-reference tab (see attachment)?
How to get it back there?
Or is there other way how to do it?

I uninstalled the OpenOffice and installed it again, the latest version 4.1.9. It is the same. Still Figure o Table field is missing.

Thank for help.
Attachments
CR.JPG
Last edited by karolv on Mon May 03, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Win7 HP 64-bit
FJCC

Re: Missing Figure and Table field in Cross-refferences tab

Post by FJCC »

Those kinds of cross-references will appear when you have captions that have their category set to Table or Figure. Usually, you can right click on the table or image, select Caption and then set the Category to Table or Figure. It may be that captions get added automatically to inserted images with a category other than Figure. You can adjust that by selecting the menu Tools -> Options, expanding the OpenOffice Writer list on the left and selecting Autocaption. You can either turn off Autocaption for some types of objects or you can adjust it to meet your needs.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
karolv

Post by karolv »

Thank you very much for reply.

I have moved forward a bit.
I can add caption to Image (01.png), but there is only option for Drawing, Illustration, Table anf Text (02.png). No Figure. :(
I have ried o add caption o
If I checked the option There is too only the same option (05.png). Is there an option to add figure?
I have tried this, but did not worked: inserted a picture and under picture wrote text "Figure " and tried o add caption as number 1, just after this text where was blinking cursor, but caption option was grey.

I have added two pictures in to document, se captions as Illustration 1 and Illustration 2 and added two cross-references for the both captions.(04.png) Second cross reference shown number 1 instead number 2. Any Idea how to fix it?

How can I urn off that grey caption line? (03.png) (this is low priority question)

For clarification of my problem,
I need some system that if I will have two pictures in the document and I will add third picture between them, The numbers will update automatically or manually (06.png)

Thanks for help.
Attachments
03.PNG
03.PNG (6.25 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
02.PNG
01.png
01.png (10.18 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
karolv

Post by karolv »

three more pictures for previous post.
Attachments
06.png
05.PNG
04.PNG
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

When you are in the dialog titled Caption (I think that is your image 02.png) try typing Figure in the Category box.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
karolv

Post by karolv »

Excellent, that works. Thank you very much. So now I have Figure in the option.

There is still problem with cross-refeences.
When I set for pictures numbering 1. 2. 3. ... or leters a. b. c. ... the all cross-refences shows number 1 regardless of what type of numbering 1. 2. 3. or a. b. c. I chose . (08.png)
When I hover the cursor over grey number 1, all numbers shows in popup buble "Figure" . When I hover the cursor over grey letter a or b or c the popup bubble shows "a" or "b" or "c".

Any idea why this happen?
Attachments
08.PNG
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Look at the box labeled "Insert reference to:". It is set to "Page", so the gray numbers are showing the page number. Try selecting "Category and Number" instead.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that the caption is put after the picture, in a frame, there is not even a paragraph break between the pic and the text. Personally, I prefer to remove both the image and the caption from the frame and paste the caption above or under the pic in separated paragraphs. Once you've done that, you can merely copy and paste the first caption to another place for another pic, the field will be updated accordingly.

To separate the caption like that can be useful if you have a longer caption than the width of the pic for example.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
karolv

Post by karolv »

Bill, Thanks a million. That was the issue.
"Category and Number" or "Numbering" works .
Category and Number shows text and number and Numbering only number. :super:

Hagar Delest, thanks for advice. I did. I had to delete "and Table" from the topic, due to only [Sol could be added.
Attachments
10.png
10.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 2600 times