Jeff Root

[Solved] Paragraph formatting: Tighten line spacing

Post by Jeff Root »

In this sample, the line in the middle has paragraph format
spacing above paragraph of 0.10 inch, to make it visually
equal to the spacing below it. I want to reduce the line
spacing so that all three lines are closer together, but
the spacing between the second and third is already zero
for both of them, and will not go negative.

How can I squish them together?

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
Attachments
sample1.odt
(13.48 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by Jeff Root on Sun May 02, 2021 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.5 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Paragraph formatting: Tighten line spacing

Post by FJCC »

I could not find a way to squeeze the text together any more with paragraph settings, though someone more familiar with Writer than me may know a way. I put each paragraph into a Frame by selecting the individual paragraph and selecting the menu Insert -> Frame. I could then adjust the frame settings to move the text closer vertically. The attached document has your original text on the first page and my version on the second page. The border around the frames does not print. You can compare the two pages using File -> Page Preview with settings to display the pages side by side.
Attachments
Soup.odt
(13.9 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You could try setting the paragraph styles used spacing (Indents and Spacing tab) to "Proportional" and 80% or 90% (not tested).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

If you change the paragraph marks to line feeds (shift+Enter, turn on view non-printing characters to see them) you can tighten the lines with the paragraph settings. You can also add spaces by inserting a line with a short height. I've done both of those in the attached.
Attachments
sample1_mod.odt
(13.28 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Jeff Root wrote: I want to reduce the line spacing so that all three lines are closer together, but the spacing between the second and third is already zero for both of them, and will not go negative. How can I squish them together?
I think the problem is that with multiple paragraphs you can't place the lines closer than the character's text boxes allow. I have highlighted the bottom paragraph to show the text boxes. Format → Paragraph → Indents and Spacing → Line Spacing → Proportional must be used with caution to prevent cropping the tops or bottoms or characters.
TextBox.jpg
However, you can use frames to give you more control. Put each paragraph in its own frame. For each frame use:
• Type = Anchor to page, Height autosize off, Horizontal position from left entire page, Vertical position from top entire page
• Wrap = Through, Spacing 0
Select the middle frame and use Format Arrange Bring to Front. Select the upper frame and use Format Arrange Bring to Front. This puts the upper frame on top, the middle frame behind it, and the lower frame behind both of the others. Now you can select the frames and adjust their size and positioning to place the lines more closely. As you adjust the height, the text box prevents cropping space at the top of the characters, but a smaller height will crop excess space off the bottom. Preventing display of excess space at the top of the frame is achieved by having it behind the frame above. When you get the spacing as desired, select each frame and turn off the frame border. It is inconvenient to adjust unbordered frames.
Frames.jpg
202105021106.odt
(14.53 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Jeff Root

Post by Jeff Root »

That's a little bit tricky-- It took me a minute to see what you
did and why you did it, but I think I have it. Thank you!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis
Jeff Root

Post by Jeff Root »

Oh, of course! I think I can use either "proportional" or "fixed" line spacing.
I figured that out in my previous project last year, but I didn't use it enough
times to remember how I did it or even *that* I did it.

Thank you thank you thank you!

-- Jeff, in Minneapolis