[Solved] Placing an Image

Discuss the word processor
kmarler18

[Solved] Placing an Image

Post by kmarler18 »

Hey Guys !

When I drag an image off my desktop into a document it doesn't "land" in the correct spot. I'll include some pictures to hopefully clarify what I mean.

This first picture is what the document looks like before I try to drag the photo into the document. You can see where my cursor is below the text where I want the image to go.
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.20.06 PM.png
When I drag the photo into the document where the cursor is it ends up getting placed a page before where I want it as seen in the screenshot below.
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.31.05 PM.png
When I try to drag it down to the correct page it will only go to the bottom of the page it is on and it won't jump to the next page.
Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 9.32.27 PM.png
Eventually I'll somehow get it to work but it takes FOREVER and I have to go thru this process every time I want to add an image.

Please help !

Thank you !
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Open Office 4.1.8
FJCC

Re: Placing an Image

Post by FJCC »

There is a whole tutorial on handling images: Image tutorial
What you probably need to adjust is how the images are Anchored and how the Wrap is set. I have found that setting the Anchor to As Character works best for me.
I suggest you look at the tutorial and come back with questions if you are still having problems. The tutorial is long but you can skim over some parts of it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Images are anchored "To Paragraph" by default. They should be anchored to the start of the paragraph where you drop the image. That is what happens when I drag an image into a document. I can only get it to be placed on a previous page by using Shift+Enter instead of Enter to start new paragraphs. Shift+Enter inserts line breaks which Writer does not recognize as a new paragraphs.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

In the tutorial you will find:

11. Learn about Anchor and Wrap options - get it wrong and your images will keep moving :crazy:

When you insert an image into Writer it is always anchored to something. Right-click an image > Anchor ..., and you see the Anchor options, where you can Anchor to the page, Anchor to a paragraph, Anchor TO a character or Anchor AS a character.

Writer uses Anchor TO a paragraph as the default option when you insert an image by dragging it into Writer, by going Insert > Picture > From file ..., or by pasting (a PNG!) image.

An image is anchored to a location based on, but not necessarily at, wherever the cursor is located when you insert the image.

When you insert an image it uses the default Anchor TO a paragraph where the anchor is located at the start of the paragraph in which the cursor is located when the image is inserted. If the paragraph is empty the anchor is located at the empty paragraph ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kmarler18

Post by kmarler18 »

Thanks gang !

It's working now.

I think it was the shift enter thing.

I was using shift enter to start a new paragraph b/c I was using hyphens and anytime I'd use regular enter to start a new line it would auto indent the text.

I guess now the question becomes ... how do I turn off the feature that automatically hyphenates and indents the next line when I hit enter if my previous line was hyphenated ?
MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6

Open Office 4.1.8
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

kmarler18 wrote:I was using shift enter to start a new paragraph
Shift enter does not create a new paragraph - it creates a new line. Paragraphs end with a ¶ pilcrow.
kmarler18 wrote:how do I turn off the feature that automatically hyphenates and indents the next line when I hit enter if my previous line was hyphenated ?
Try Format > Paragraph > Indents and spacing..., and Format > Paragraph > Textflow ..., and see how they are set.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

You might have Bullets & Numbering on. Try pressing Shift + F12 and see if the hyphens and indentation stop.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

kmarler18 wrote:... how do I turn off the feature that automatically hyphenates and indents the next line when I hit enter if my previous line was hyphenated ?
Uncheck the AutoCorrect Option:

Format > AutoCorrect > AutoCorrect Options > Options > Apply Numbering...
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04