Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut unavailable in Find&Replace

Discuss the word processor
bentLeters010

Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut unavailable in Find&Replace

Post by bentLeters010 »

Edit: Your later question about the user profile was split to Cannot follow Resetting the Profile in the Win10 link since it does not relate to your original subject of Ctrl+Shift+S. 
Any idea how the shortcut Cntrl+Shft+S for Find&Search (Cntrl+F) can become absent in function? Really unexpected in its timing, indiscernible...

Other than tampering with Customize and keyboardTab?

(I know like reinstalling the whole application...)
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Shortcut Unavailable

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sorry but I don't understand your question.
Find & Replace is called by Ctrl+H on my LO and Ctrl+F is for the Find toolbar. Not sure if it is the same for AOO also, don't remember but i would have thought so since it also has the Find toolbar.
What is the function you talk about?
What module BTW? Writer, Calc?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

Office Writer, all default settings! (with one other exception)

Cntrl+Shft+S opens Special Characters only when Find&Replace (Cntrl+F) is on top. The instruction is on the Help section of the App. What other way is there to open Special Characters for Cntrl+F ??
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Ctrl+shift+V might do what you require in Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

bentLeters010 wrote:Any idea how the shortcut Cntrl+Shft+S for Find&Search (Cntrl+F) can become absent in function?
On my system (MacOS 10.14 with AOO 4.1.7) ⇪⌘S opens the Special Characters dialog if the Search For field or the Replace With field has been selected. ⇪⌘S is the Mac equivalent of Ctrl+Shirt+S on Linux/Windoze. If the Search For field was selected, the Special Characters dialog inserts characters to be found. If the Replace With field was selected, the Special Characters dialog inserts characters to be substituted. If some other part of the dialog was selected ⇪⌘S is meaningless since a special character can only be inserted into Search For or Replace With. Actually, I never use this feature because MacOS provides better ways to insert special characters in dialog boxes of AOO or any other application.

[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile explains how to reset your location storing keyboard shortcuts if yours has become damaged.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Hagar Delest

Re: Ctrl+Shift+S shortcut unavailable in Find&Replace

Post by Hagar Delest »

OK, I see. Ctrl+Shift+S works fine also when in the Search or Replace field (LO, Xubuntu & Windows 10).
Seems to be hard coded because I don't see this shortcut in the customization possibilities.
Not sure where in the user profile it could be.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

This possibly has something to do with the font selected on the Special Characters dialog. In AOO, that font can not be changed by the user when the Special Characters dialog is opened from Find & Replace. In LO, the font can be changed.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
cwolan

Post by cwolan »

Hagar Delest wrote:OK, I see. Ctrl+Shift+S works fine also when in the Search or Replace field (LO, Xubuntu & Windows 10).
Seems to be hard coded because I don't see this shortcut in the customization possibilities.
Not sure where in the user profile it could be.
As to customization possibilities:
General shortcut keys in OpenOffice: Ctrl+Shift+S stand for "Save As".
Assigning Ctrl+Shift+S for OpenOffice component (Writer, Calc etc.) will only replace that general association
(the corresponding entry will be added in the file "registrymodifications.xcu" — entry with "S_SHIFT_MOD1")

Out of curiosity, I looked it up in the source code. It seems that Ctrl+Shift+S is hard coded e.g. in the file "edit.cxx"

OpenOffice
http://openoffice-vm1-he-de.apache.org/ ... a586e#1583

LibreOffice
https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/c ... c96cd#1459

.isMod1() checks for KEY_MOD1 or the 'Ctrl' key (Cmd on Mac OS X)
.isShift() checks for KEY_SHIFT
OpenOffice 1.1.5 – 4.1.15
LibreOffice 6.4.7 – 7.6.5
Windows 7,10,11 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

cwolan wrote:As to customization possibilities:
General shortcut keys in OpenOffice: Ctrl+Shift+S stand for "Save As".
Assigning Ctrl+Shift+S for OpenOffice component (Writer, Calc etc.) will only replace that general association
(the corresponding entry will be added in the file "registrymodifications.xcu" — entry with "S_SHIFT_MOD1")
I know, this is why I said that this very same shortcut has to be hardcoded in the Find & Replace dialog. There may be a listener dedicated to that sequence when in that specific context.
The code triggered may be in the F&R code of the dialog.
bentLeters010

Re: Cannot follow Resetting the Profile in the Win10 link

Post by bentLeters010 »

Ok, thank you,
I performed correctly the requested task, unfortunately it did not offered a new instance where Cntrl+Shft+S was functionable at the F&R dialog box.

I see now in the location [%appdata%\OpenOffice\4] the new folder "user" created next to the previous (renamed) one. I also had to fill in a new username&initials for the AOO app.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Well, that's weird.
Any application that could "listen to" that Ctrl+Shift+S keyboard shortcut? Like a clipboard manager?
Just to make sure: no way you could have mixed some keys like Shift with Alt or S with a key next to it?
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

What other way is there to open Special Characters for Cntrl+F ??
Not following what this thread's asking for but to answer that bit.. you can right click (or press the menu key) in the search for or replace with text fields. If the focus is not on a text field you can press the tab key to get there or shift+tab to get there in the reverse direction.

Edit:
There doesn't seem to be a way to set the focus to the F&R dialog using the keyboard except by pressing Ctrl+F which shows/hides the dialog.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Nice catch JeJe, you can right click in the Find or Replace fields to access the special characters (the entry showing the shortcut BTW).
If that context menu doesn't appear for bentLeters010, then there is a big problem with his configuration.
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

I would like to mention also, in case of parallel symptoms, that the update service of AOO (Help > Check for Updates) gives this error:
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-29 155026.png
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

bentLeters010 wrote:I would like to mention also, in case of parallel symptoms, that the update service of AOO (Help > Check for Updates) gives this error:
This problem was fixed in version 4.1.9
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bentLeters010 wrote:Any idea how the shortcut Cntrl+Shft+S for Find&Search (Cntrl+F) can become absent in function?
If "...absent in function..." means "...the Special Characters window does not appear ...", then the window may be off the screen. Did you try pressing ALT+SPACEBAR to see if a window menu appeared at the edge of the screen?
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

Hey, that Alt+spacebar key only made appear this little duo menu on the up-left corner of the F&R dialog box:

(in any case I have no problems with resolutions and graphics, all seem magical; configuration problems I may have must have to do with msecs&hertz, except if you mean that a debugging setting such as "useplatformclock" can affect the screen output? but I have told you already of the behavior of that feature: its timing, how it made a short relapse to go off!)
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-30 105755.png
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

bentLeters010 wrote:I have told you already of the behavior of that feature: its timing, how it made a short relapse to go off!
I can find no previous mention of the "behavior of that feature" except for your vague reference to "timing" in your initial post. Since no one else seems to have a problem with "a short relapse to go off" (whatever that means), perhaps you have a hardware problem, say your computer thinks the keyboard has sent the "Esc" code to dismiss the dialog. With the focus in the Search For or the Replace With field, when I press ⇪⌘S the Insert Special Character dialog remains on the screen indefinitely until I am finished with it.
Hagar Delest wrote:Seems to be hard coded because I don't see this shortcut in the customization possibilities.
In addition to ⇪⌘S I find these shortcuts to be available in Writer's Find&Replace dialog. I don't know where these key codes are specified in the program source or where these shortcuts are documented (other than this post). I discovered them by trying shortcuts in the dialog to see what worked. I suspect they are also hardcoded and not user customizable. I do not know shortcuts for Current Selection Only or for Match Character Width. I do not know if the shortcuts are influenced by one's locale. Presumably similar shortcuts are available to Linux and Windows systems with Ctrl in place of ⌘.
⌘A  Action: Find All
⌘B  Open: Attributes dialog
⌘D  Setting: Whole words only
⌘E  Setting: Notes
⌘F  Action: Find
⌘H  Open: Help panels
⌘I  Setting: Similarity search
⌘J  Setting: Sounds like (Japanese)
⌘K  Setting: Backwards
⌘L  Action: Replace All
⌘M  Open: Format dialog
⌘N  Action: No Format
⌘O  Open: More options
⌘P  TextBox: Replace with
⌘R  Action: Replace
⌘S  TextBox: Search for
⌘T  Setting: Match case
⌘W  Action: Close dialog window
⌘X  Setting: Regular expressions
⌘Y  Setting: Search for styles
FandR.jpg
Bill wrote:This possibly has something to do with the font selected on the Special Characters dialog. In AOO, that font can not be changed by the user when the Special Characters dialog is opened from Find & Replace.
While the font might influence which characters are available in the Special Characters dialog, I don't believe the font of the characters which are inserted into the Search For or Replace With fields is significant. Searching for foo finds it in any font. Replacing it with bar changes the characters but doesn't alter the font. To search for or replace characters in a specific font, one specifies that font with the Format button in the dialog, not by using the font in the Search For or Replace With text box.
bentLeters010 wrote:(I know like reinstalling the whole application...)
I suppose a reinstall can't hurt but in my experience this seldom fixes problems for people and is usually a waste of time. Profile resets do fix lots of mysterious problems but you seem to have already tried that.
The OOo user profile

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

bentLeters010 wrote:Cntrl+Shft+S opens Special Characters only when Find&Replace (Cntrl+F) is on top. The instruction is on the Help section of the App.
Help says "In any text input field (such as the input fields in the Find & Replace dialog) you can press Shift+Ctrl+S to open the Special Characters dialog." Find & Replace is always on top when it is open, but if no input field is selected or the focus moves to another window (possibly by moving the mouse when the focus is set to follow the mouse), Shift+Ctrl+S won't open the Special Characters dialog.
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

This is what is different now, I uninstalled AOO from winControlPanel, and then installed AOOv.4.1.8. My previous settings were recovered (not expected, as I remember otherwise with older AOO versions) but the Cntrl+Shft+S feature for F&R dialog box did not come to function.

[To reply to two points in the last two posts: (1)the focus of the dialog box is not missed and the text-cursor-indicator was always active (2) about a more detailed description, you should know how that feature may be needed for few times in one cycle of activity and none at all in another, so one could be suspicious about what may have happened in between three cycles of activity? I recall that it played openly on me once or twice, but e.g. that came much after Microsoft had appended a warning note for using another &specific monitor; it doesn't much that timing)

Edit: precisely and for the record, I employed a cable connection VGA (monitor) to HDMI (graphics card) which is known to not allow the benefits of Digital to Analog. If you think that is the problem? Please let me know.
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

Hagar Delest wrote: Just to make sure: no way you could have mixed some keys like Shift with Alt or S with a key next to it?
I've seen enough times the winKey+Alt+PrintScreen combination taking screenshots (I doubt I could be fooling someone with any ineptness on my part _about that per se)
bentLeters010

Post by bentLeters010 »

Ok, now I had installed the very latest version of AOO, this problem exists even there, apparently it does not belong in the category of the "regressions" being fixed with updates?

(I understand if the conclusion is a single-device configuration problem, but this issue did not exist throughout whole histories of the operating system that had about the same debugging deficiency each time, and it made this very unexpected appearance only lately)