[Solved] Inserted JPG graphics not loading

Discuss the word processor
9fingers

[Solved] Inserted JPG graphics not loading

Post by 9fingers »

I've produced a writer document inserting jpg files via the insert from file route and the photos duly appeared.
After saving and re opening the document, only placeholders showing the location of the folders are visible not the photos themselves.
How can I get these back please.
The photos are in folder on the same network as the host computer.
TIA
Bob
office problem.JPG
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Openoffice version 4.1.9 under Windows7
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: Inserted JPG graphics not loading

Post by erbsenzahl »

DisplayImagesAndObjects.png
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
9fingers

Post by 9fingers »

Thanks for your reply.

This is my nearest similar view in AOO 4.1.9 and appears to be set up very much the same.
office problem2.JPG
Bob
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

Hi,

your next steps could be...
  • Rename the office profile and check your file with the automatically generated new office profile
    Information: viewtopic.php?p=58403
    or
  • Try out a portable version of AOO
If both steps are not successful then upload your (anonymized) Writer file for checking.

By the way: The images were linked and not embedded, right?

Cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
9fingers

Post by 9fingers »

Hi,

I would say the figures were embedded. I used the "insert picture from file option"

I will try your other suggestions.
Thanks
Bob
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images for a discussion on how best to handle images in Writer which includes a discussion of lost images. Items 6 and 16.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

9fingers wrote: I would say the figures were embedded. I used the "insert picture from file option"
That doesn't mean the picture is embedded. Insert > Picture > From File opens the Insert Picture dialog. There is a check box for the "Link" option on that dialog. Since a link is being displayed, the "Link" box must have been checked when the picture was inserted. However, since the option to display graphics and objects is checked, the picture should be displayed if the path in the link is valid. Is the drive Z shown in the link accessible?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
9fingers

Post by 9fingers »

Thanks to all respondants.

The Z drive is accessible. I ended up copying the folder containing the jpgs to another location, deleting the folder from the linked location and finally copying the file folder back to the original z drive location and magically the pictures are back.
I've no idea why but clearly some conflict with AOO and windows filing system

KRs
Bob
9fingers

Post by 9fingers »

Bill wrote:
9fingers wrote: I would say the figures were embedded. I used the "insert picture from file option"
That doesn't mean the picture is embedded. Insert > Picture > From File opens the Insert Picture dialog. There is a check box for the "Link" option on that dialog. Since a link is being displayed, the "Link" box must have been checked when the picture was inserted. However, since the option to display graphics and objects is checked, the picture should be displayed if the path in the link is valid. Is the drive Z shown in the link accessible?
The link box is not checked in the insert picture dialogue box so I don't know why there is a link being shown. Thankfully as per my previous post I have the figures back in the document but no understanding of why/how.

Bob
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Inserted JPG graphics not loading

Post by Hagar Delest »

It may be a problem with AOO resolving the remote folder through the network (I guess that Z is a network folder).
To fix the problem, have you copied the folder to your local HD?
AOO is not that good with remote pictures.
Note that you don't have to delete the folder in Z IMHO. The trick may be to insert pics only from a local folder.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10