Default margins and default program

Discuss the word processor
katrina1

Default margins and default program

Post by katrina1 »

I can't seem to establish opening a new document with the margins that are compatible with my printer. I have modified the default style to the font, etc. I like, but I find no place to establish margins in the style. Perhaps it is not done in a style, in which case, I need to know how to get a new document to open with all the parameters I want, not what OO wants.

Also, how do I make OO the default program for opening all of my document files, which contain a lot of word (.doc) formatted documents. It keeps wanting to open a document with the program it was created with. Word sucks and I want to use only OO.
Open office 4.1.9 on windows7
FJCC

Re: default margins and default program

Post by FJCC »

The margins are set in the Page style. Access the Styles and Formatting dialog through the Sidebar or with the menu item Format -> Styles and Formatting. The five little icons near the top of the dialog bring up different kinds of styles. The fourth from the left is for Page styles. Click that and then right click on the the Default style and select Modify. On the Page tab of the dialog, you can set the page margins.
Instructions for saving a document as a template and making it your default template can be found in the Help under templates;default templates.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: default margins and default program

Post by Bill »

Margins are a page property, not a text property. Set the margins in the Default page style in a new blank document. Set the font and other text properties in the Default paragraph style, then save the document as your default template.

An Internet search should find many instructions for setting default programs in Windows 7.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04