Writer crashes moving a table to next page

Discuss the word processor
Rike

Writer crashes moving a table to next page

Post by Rike »

Ah yes, I've seen some posts about this already, but I couldn't find one with more details or a solution to this specific problem.

OpenOffice crashes when it automatically moves a table to the next page when I write something above that table.
This also happens with some images, not all though, I couldn't find the specific reason for that yet.
This doesn't happen if I copy and paste the table, and it happens in any document.
In the past because of this one of my documents wouldn't open any more at all, I've given that one up as cursed and it hasn't happened since.
I've had the same experiences with the 4.1.7. and with the 4.1.9. version. Earliest this happened was in March. Didn't have problems with this on my old PC that worked with Windows 7 (don't remember the OpenOffice version though).
But I only recently started working frequently with the software, so I don't have verified data for that.

Got any ideas what I can do other than making an extra document just for tables or downloading LibreOffice?

Please and thanks
OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer crashes moving a table to next page

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Rike

Post by Rike »

Thank you for that suggestion, but it didn't work.
Opened a document again, put in the table and pressed enter until it would have been transported to the next page - and it crashed.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Could it be that one? And in this case, maybe a bug: [Solved] Crashing After Adding Tables.

Else, several similar topics but not that recent, see this query.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you insert a Page Break immediately before the table, to cause it to be on a new page, and then insert the extra text that required the table to be on a new page? All that done, you might then remove the Page Break if there is sufficient space on the preceding page to accommodate the table.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rike

Post by Rike »

Firstly, the documents are saved as .odt, but this also happens with documents that haven't been saved yet.

I've inserted a Page Break like suggested and it doesn't crash like that. Removing it also didn't cause any problems.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

RoryOF wrote:What happens if you insert a Page Break immediately before the table, to cause it to be on a new page, and then insert the extra text that required the table to be on a new page? All that done, you might then remove the Page Break if there is sufficient space on the preceding page to accommodate the table.
This is to thank you for your idea: it helped me out as well.
It seems to be related to this bug (issue 126043 - although that's for version 4.1.1).
OpenOffice 4.1.7 | Windows 10 Professional 21H1