Import PDF File into Writer

Discuss the word processor
maglia

Import PDF File into Writer

Post by maglia »

Hello everybody. I know this topic has already been mentioned in multiple threads. However I turn to this forum to see if someone can help me with my problem.

Context
I work in an Organization that digitally signs Writer documents. It happens that in many cases, documents require attaching digitized information.

The digitized information is made through a scanning process into a PDF file.

This information can contain one or multiple pages.

Problem
A single document needs to be digitally signed. Therefore, it is required that the Writer text can easily add the information that has been digitized through the scanner.

I have tried the Insert File or Insert OLE Object options. None in a satisfactory way.

The Image from Scanner option inserts a single document page. It is not a solution. Nor would it be because the document that is written does not always have a scanner connected, but it does have a network resource where it can go to find the digitized information.

Current Solution
Users were instructed to get a Snapshot from Adobe Reader. The problem with this solution is that they have to do it page by page and it is a very tedious process.

Solution Wanted
It occurs to me that a macro could be programmed in Writer that is capable of opening the PDF file (via the file selection box) and is capable of page by page (from the first to the last) open it in memory, copy it to the clipboard as a image, insert a blank page at the end of the current document, and paste the image from the clipboard.

Is this possible? Can anyone help with the code?

If this is not possible, what solution do you propose?

Thank you!

PS: I have used the translation services of Google Translate. I apologize for your translation although I am hopeful that you will understand what my problem is.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
Windows 10, 64bits
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Import PDF File into Writer

Post by JeJe »

Pdf documents open in draw. You can press ctrl+a to select ctrl+c to copy and switch to your writer document and press ctrl + v to paste. That could also be done in a macro.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

As you didn't mention any OCR I assume you are generating pictures of scanned pages, wich are saved as pdf. So you could try to save as .jpg or .png - maybe pictures are easier to integrate in your docs.

But you don't tell if any information added by writer.
Do you use writer only as container for signing?
Then it may be possible to use gpg directly?

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

PDFsam can split PDF files into individual pages.

AOO can insert the first page of a PDF with Insert > Object > OLE Object > Further Objects ...

LibreOffice can insert the first page of a PDF with Insert > Image ..., where you select PDF; and Insert > Object > OLE Object > Further Objects ...
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem with a scanned rendering of the document is that you get just pictures. No way to perform any search in the text and the page rendering will be pixelated instead of benefiting from the scalable rendering of a trued PDF.

When I've to digitally sign a PDF, I use Foxit Reader to copy and paste my scanned signature on each page. You can add any pic or any text string like that. To be done manually I fear but you get a nice PDF.

Doing what you want with something else than an Adobe product is a no-go I think. Remember that PDF is a mere digital print, it's not designed to be edited.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10