[Solved] Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Discuss the word processor
fiaafnr

[Solved] Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Post by fiaafnr »

I have this problem - I cut and paste a table which contains graphics and text from the internet. OO sets up links to the graphics which have to be downloaded every time I scroll graphics that are out of view into view. It continuously bogs down the computer making the document useless. Even when saving, it saves the links and not the graphics.

A workaround I have discovered is to then export the doc as a PDF - this PDF is a standalone table of graphics and text as I expect and I can scroll thru it endlessly without bogdown.

Does anyone know a way to make OO not set up graphics download links but actually store the graphics inside the document itself, like a stand-alone, not requiring the internet to show the graphics every time?

I've searched everywhere and can't figure it out. Thank you for any help!
Last edited by fiaafnr on Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on macOS 10.13.6
Hagar Delest

Re: Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

If you paste them from the web, then before closing the file, go to the Edit>Links menu and break the links to embed the pics into the document.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
fiaafnr

Re: Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Post by fiaafnr »

I might have solved my issue - under Edit Links, selecting all links and breaking them seems to make it standalone with all graphics. But for my test doc of 44 small graphics, it took near 2min to break the links. uggg. so slow. My real doc has over 200 graphics. Guess I'll start the link break right before bed and when I wake in 8hrs, it will prob still be running (not really, but oh the waiting is not fun)

Still curious if this is the only way. Love to hear your opinions!
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think it is the only way. AOO is not good at retrieving the files from the web. Don't know if LibreOffice is better at the job.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
fiaafnr

Re: [Solved] Graphic links in text or spreadsheet document

Post by fiaafnr »

Thanks Hagar Delest! that is what I needed! Rock on.