[Solved] Overlay text on a background

Discuss the word processor
jackdashack

[Solved] Overlay text on a background

Post by jackdashack »

THis is using Insert>File
THis is using Insert>File
I have had Oo for years. Little used but now I think I've found a good use for it. After writing this I attached a clip.

I have placed a background on the page that looks like parchment. It doesn't touch each border of the 8.5x11 but that's not an issue. It fits good enough. But now I want to place text within that parchment background. I've looked for insert text box. I've tried creating a separate file and using Insert File. but it's never in the right format OR within the parchment. Where and how do I effect this? I know I could just start typing but that would not effect it within the borders of the parchment. Everything seems to want to start right at the edge of the white page. Now I know I've set my settings to 0.00" so the full parchment shows. But I'm sure it has to be something simple to paste text within that image. This is not for print its for web.

Thanks! jackdashack ":-Dx
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.8 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Overlay text on a background

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Insert your text in a text box or a frame (more powerfull than a text box) and change the wrap option to send the text box in the background.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
jackdashack

Post by jackdashack »

Yes, thank you. I've actually had to create another account. It's been so long that I couldn't find the right combo of username and password. It became very involved and was taking more time to try to re-instate myself that it was to just re-register. My bad.

It's saying something like need to install JRE which is new to me. I'll have to figure what that is.

I'll get back, and I ALWAYS look for kudos, solved or something. Always a little disappointed when a forum doesn't have those options. I'll get back. ty
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

JRE is Java. As OpenOffice is 32 bit you need to download, install then select (OO /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Java) a 32 bit Java.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jackdashack

Post by jackdashack »

Done and done. Thank you. I now have a frame and trying to figure how to get it allowed to type in. I'll figure it. ty
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Click _in_ the frame, not _on_ it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
jackdashack

Post by jackdashack »

This video got me over the hump. I wasn't seen the toolbars at the bottom as in the video. And once added I've got it.

THANKS TO YOU BOTH, very helpful indeed, RoryOF and Hagar Delest (appears I haven't added an url correctly)

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click
jackdashack

Re: [Solved] Overlay text on a background

Post by jackdashack »

Yes, thanks for putting SOLVED (and after I said I always do it smh) . . . I somehow got sidetracked by all the windows and forgot. Inexcusable.