Header and footer are in the normal text space?

Discuss the word processor
yohejohn

Header and footer are in the normal text space?

Post by yohejohn »

Hello all,

I have both a header, for a title, and a footer, for page numbers. I've set my margins at one inch all around. But the header and footer end up 'adding' space to the top and bottom margins, past the one inch. Shouldn't the header and the footer both appear within the one inch margin? Isn't that how Word and Google docs have them? Looks odd? Tried to attach a screen shot but I keep getting a 'file too big' message. I don't know how to make it smaller without losing what I'm trying to show? Argh...

To put it another way: the header appears just one line above the regular text, which looks odd. Same with the page numbers.

Do I have to go back and re-set the top and bottom margins to adjust for a header and footer? Shouldn't the program do that automatically?

I did search for this topic in the forums first before asking. I hope I'm explaining this well, and using the right terminology.

Thank you,

John
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
yohejohn

Re: Header and footer are in the normal text space?

Post by yohejohn »

Bill,

Thank you for the links. I understand now that this is just the aesthetic that OO and LO want? Doesn't seem based on what users want, but ok.

Disappointing. Now I have to figure out a 'work around.'

Cheers,

John
LIbreOffice Version 7.0.4.2
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Tried to attach a screen shot but I keep getting a 'file too big' message. I don't know how to make it smaller without losing what I'm trying to show? Argh...
Optimize your images before you send them somebody, or when you want to use them in your documents.

It is enough a 64 bit (decreased) color depth, cropped image for this forum. (The main information is not in the Megapixels.)
Use a third paty image manager software like the free irfanView.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I understand now that this is just the aesthetic that OO and LO want? Doesn't seem based on what users want,
The Margin means: It is some EMPTY area at the edge of the page/paper. No content, no footer on it.

Some printers can not print on the bottom of the paper. And what about, when the Footer text flows onto the non printing area if it would be located inside the margin area?

It is quite logical in the international standard ODF file format:

There is
- Top margin (with user defined size)
- Header area (if you want it)
- Text area
- Footer area (if you want it)
- Bottom margin (with user defined size)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

+1 with Zizi64. I've always been amazed by this header/footer in the margins in MS Word...
The way it works in AOO/LO and ODF is just common sense. I'd like to know what the guy who did the MS Word feature had in mind.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Hagar Delest wrote:I'd like to know what the guy who did the MS Word feature had in mind.
Possibly APA or MLA styles which call for a 1" margin (space between the edge of the paper and the main body of text) with header inside the 1" margin. Help in Writer states that "a header is an area in the margin", but actually inserts the header outside the margin. The margin has to be set to 1/2" in AOO/LO to get a page that meets the APA/MLA requirements.

APA Top Margin

MLA Running Head – A Clear Guide

APA 6th Edition paper Template
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But in the end, it's only a semantics issue. There should be proper designation for both limits. There need to be "text margins" for the main text and "page margins" (the latter being linked to the limits of the printer for example).
That would allow headers/footers to have different width than the text area BTW (some users needing larger headers/footers than the text).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10