OO Still can't spellcheck after 12 years

Discuss the word processor
freddynz

OO Still can't spellcheck after 12 years

Post by freddynz »

After installing on a new machine spellchecker isn't working. I have had this problem before and can't remember how to fix it but - don't care, its pathetic. Searching the forum this bug goes back over a decade.

To check it wasn't my version 4.1.1. I tried updating inside OO to the latest (4.1.9?), got the error: Error reading data from the Internet. Server error message: .

I've never had any software not be able to update - ever. I think that pretty much hints that the spellchecker thing is not just some ignorant user issue but that there are many reasons you couldn't ever get someone to pay for OO. Its a real shame because stylistically it looks like it has that potential, so it seems really weird that the developers put all this effort in but just don't care about the basics.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows 10 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Re: OO Still can't spellcheck after 12 years

Post by Hagar Delest »

See at the top of the Writer forum, there is a sticky topic because it is a very frequent question.
Even if some users have problems, it does work for all the others. So there is a problem with your configuration for sure.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Re: OO Still can't spellcheck after 12 years

Post by Bill »

freddynz wrote:I've never had any software not be able to update - ever.
It was only a check for updates that failed. That bug was fixed in AOO 4.1.9. Since your old version still has the bug, you have to download AOO 4.1.9 and install it. The installation should remove AOO 4.1.1 and install AOO 4.1.9.
freddynz wrote:After installing on a new machine spellchecker isn't working. I have had this problem before and can't remember how to fix it but - don't care, its pathetic. Searching the forum this bug goes back over a decade.
The problem that "...goes back over a decade." should not occur on new machines. That problem is caused by corruption of the user profile, which should not happen on a new machine. Unfortunately, you didn't explain how "spellchecker isn't working", so the solution in the sticky may not be the solution to your problem. Is SpellCheck underlining all words or no words? Is the problem affecting all documents or only new documents? How do you create the new documents?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04