Unwanted picture rotation

Discuss the word processor
AirAlan

Unwanted picture rotation

Post by AirAlan »

For some reason, when I try to insert a picture into my text, Open Office rotates the photo 90 degrees. It never did this before. I presume it is doing this because I somehow activated a switch. But I have no idea what I did. My work on my project is at a standstill until I can resolve this. Has anyone ever had this problem before?
Open office 4.1.8, Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: unwanted picture rotation

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think that your viewer rotates automatically the pic without you knowing it. However, AOO doesn't know about that information and displays the pic as it is.
You have to use a picture manager (I use XnViewMP) and resave the pic with the correct orientation.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Unwanted picture rotation

Post by JeJe »

Or you can use Impress which has a rotate picture button on the drawing toolbar.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Item 14 in [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AirAlan wrote:...Open Office rotates the photo 90 degrees.
The photo file probably has an orientation tag which applications can use to rotate the photo. AOO does not support the orientation tag, so the photo has to be rotated using some other application before inserting it in AOO.

To rotate the photo with Irfanview, turn off the Irfanview option to auto-rotate jpeg files when opened, then open the photo with Irfanview, rotate the photo and save it. Irfanview will change the orientation tag so the photo will still be rotated properly in other applications that support the orientation tag.

I don't know how or if it can be used in Windows, but ImageMagick provides a command that can rotate photos and change the orientation tag automatically. In Linux the command is:

Code: Select all

convert filename.jpg -auto-orient new_filename.jpg
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Two further remarks:
IrfanView has also a plugin, wich can do looseless rotation for jpg-Files - if quality isvan issue.

ImageMagick (as Bill suggested) is available for Windows.
I use it in an import script often and have it also on a USB-Device as portable tool.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista