[Solved] Garamond font missing from computer?

Discuss the word processor
ThylacineP

[Solved] Garamond font missing from computer?

Post by ThylacineP »

Ummmm, I was using an open office document this morning, happily typing in Garamond. I closed the program and reopened it a few hours later.
The program crashed twice and now my beloved Garamond is missing from the font selector.

This is a NOT OKAY! EMERGENCY! PANIC!

What have I done wrong and how do I get my beloved Garamond back?
Thank you.
Last edited by ThylacineP on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.9
Mac - Big Sur
RoryOF

Re: Garamond missing?

Post by RoryOF »

Look in your system settings and establish whether Garamond is installed on your computer. It is not a font supplied by OpenOffice, and unless installed by default on your computer (I cannot answer for a Mac), it must have been installed as an extra font, either specifically by you, or as part of some package,

If OpenOffice cannot find a specific font (which will be shown as the font in use on the Formatting toolbar), it silently replaces it in the document with as close a fitting font as it can find installed on the computer, but leaves that text marked as requiring the missing font. It does not mess with installed fonts, so an OpenOffice crash will not remove a font from your computer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ThylacineP

Post by ThylacineP »

Will have to take a look into my installed fonts. Thank you
Open Office 4.1.9
Mac - Big Sur
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Garamond is a font supplied with MS Office. It is not on this list: It is listed as a font available only in documents that already use the font under "Fonts available for document support in Big Sur" in this list:

Fonts included with macOS Big Sur
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Garamond font missing from computer?

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
ThylacineP wrote:I was using an open office document this morning, happily typing in Garamond.
Maybe. Maybe not. In Writer, Format → Character → Font (or the equivalent portion of the Style dialog) a selection of text will show the font the document wants to use. If the font is installed on your operating system, Writer can use it. If not, Writer will substitute a similar font. Learn which of the fonts your requested in your document are not installed by using the TestFonts extension.
[Solved] Fonts disappear after moving file to new computer
ThylacineP wrote:The program crashed twice and now my beloved Garamond is missing from the font selector. … What have I done wrong and how do I get my beloved Garamond back?
You can try restoring your document from a backup which you made before the document became damaged while you were using it. Then the document should say it is using Garamond again, even if it isn't. Writer can't use a font which isn't installed.
Q23: How do I backup OpenOffice files on my Mac?
Q24: How do I restore OpenOffice files from backups?
ThylacineP wrote:EMERGENCY! PANIC!
A simple workaround might be to use the Baskerville font. It is installed on MacOS and is quite close to Garamond. MacOS provides dozens of fonts and perhaps you can find one in Font Book (Apple's font manager application) which you like even better than Baskerville. In this illustration, Baskerville is shown at the top, Garamond at the bottom.
BG640.jpg
Bill wrote:It is listed as a font available only in documents that already use the font under "Fonts available for document support in Big Sur" in this list:
OpenOffice will use the fonts installed on the operating system, in this case MacOS. Fonts on MacOS are installed with Apple's Font Book application. If there are questions about MacOS fonts, ask those in an Apple forum. This forum is for OpenOffice and I have very little experience with fonts on a Mac so you may find better assistance there. Garamond, along with many other fonts, comes with MacOS however it not installed for use by applications.

If none of Baskerville or the other installed fonts is suitable, I believe you can install Garamond if it is a requirement for your work. In Finder, use Go → Computer and navigate to Macintosh HD → Library → Application Support → Apple → Fonts → iWork and you should find find Garamond.ttc. Double-clicking that, Font Book launches and offers an Install Font button. I believe you need Quit OpenOffice and launch it again so it can find a newly-installed font. If you need further help with installing a font on MacOS, contact Apple or one of their forums.
Q32: I think I have a problem with fonts. What can I do?
Garamond.jpg
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).