[Solved] Need Help Making a Number Line

Discuss the word processor
rayroshi

[Solved] Need Help Making a Number Line

Post by rayroshi »

I am trying to help my grandson with learning inequalities in his algebra class, so I need to be able to various different draw number lines, using Open Office Writer. In doing so, I need to:

1. First make the number line (first object made)
2. Then place a colored line on top of the black number line that I just made. (second object made)
3. Next, I need to place either an open (unfilled) circle on one end of the line, and another (filled-in or solid) circle on the other end of the line. (fourth and fifth objects made)
4. Finally, I need to be able to group the number line, the colored line, and the two 'end' circles together and save them to my desktop, so I can then paste the whole thing into my OO document which can then by sent to my grandson.

The final product should look like this: (I just tried to paste a picture that I found on the internet, but it won't paste; how do you do that?)

That's the overall process.

The method I was using to make the number line and the other objects can be seen here, in this short video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQcrTD2V3NE. However, this video shows how to do it using Word 2007. I used to use Word 2007, but I can no longer do so (license lapsed and cannot afford Microsoft's monthly subscription fee), which is why I am now using Open Office.

So, what I am asking, here, is whether there is a similar process which I can go through, using Open Office Writer, to accomplish what is seen in the video linked above. I am a novice Open Office user and will now begin learning how to use it, (I have downloaded the 442-page OO user manual), but I would appreciate it if someone could just get me started in the meantime, so I can maybe help my grandson now, without having to wait weeks before I come up to speed.

Everything shown in the YouTube video mentioned above also works fine in OO, until I get to the place where I have to save my newly-created number line as a picture.

I don't really know why I have to do that, but at any rate, I can't see any option for doing so. After searching the forum, I found an OO Forum question which seemed similar to my problem, and which 'acknak' (a most helpful guy) answered, here: https://forum-test.openoffice.org/en/fo ... 11&t=66506. However, when I tried what was suggested, I did not see any 'Export' under 'File,' so, once again, I was stuck.

If anyone could help me with this, I would really appreciate it, as I have now spent three full days, trying to figure it out, but can't make any progress.
Last edited by rayroshi on Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Need Help Making a Number Line

Post by FJCC »

I did a quick version using Draw, which can Export as an image. Writer does not do that as far as I know.
The number line has two parts, the graph axis and the gray line with circles on the end.
To adjust the line, right click on it and select Line from the menu that appears. There you can set the color, transparency, width, Arrow (i.e. the style of the line end) and other line properties.
To adjust the appearance of the graph axis, double click on the graph somewhere away from the line. This will put it in Edit mode. Select the menu Format -> Axis -> X Axis.
To export the number line as an image, left click and drag to select the combination of the graph and the gray line. Select the menu File -> Export. Pick the file name and format and make sure you click the the Selection box at the lower left corner of the dialog.
Attachments
Numberline.odg
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Hi ´FJCC,´

Thanks for that reply. It looks like it might be a really good way to go about it, alright. But how did you construct the axis line with such precise tick marks.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The number line is the x axis of a chart. You start with Insert -> Chart. Right click on the chart and set the chart type to Scatter. Then:
delete the legend
click on the grid and delete it
click on each data series and delete it
click on the y axis and delete it
Select the menu Format -> Chart Wall and set its Line to none.

You should then have just the x axis. You can shrink the rectangle of the graph by clicking and dragging from the center of the top boundary and you can set the number range of the axis with the menu Format -> Axis -> X Axis.
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Hi 'FJCC,'

Thanks again for your help. That was just what I needed to know. Now, if you would be so kind as to give me some advice on just one more question, I think it will all work: After I saved the whole axis/number line to my desktop, it appeared as only a small picture that was so little I could barely read it. How do I get it big enough to paste into a normal Writer document that is readable? Maybe I'm not saving it in the right format or something.

I sure appreciate your help. As you can tell, I'm not real computer saavy, so your assistance is really valuable.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

If you want to move the number line from the draw file to Writer, there is no need to export it. You can select the combined graph and gray line by clicking and dragging a selection area that encompasses both objects and then use Copy and Paste.

As for exporting, can you export the number line that I posted in a Draw file and have it be a reasonable size?

I have seen the number line become a very small object if I do not delete the legend from the chart. It is not enough to have the legend disappear after you delete the last data series, I had to select the legend and delete it before deleting the data series.
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

That's it! Just copying from Draw, then pasting directly into the Write documents works just fine with no change in the size or clarity; don't know why I was unnecessarily complicating things by trying to export it.

Once again, I can't thank you enough for all of your help. Often, I have gone to forums and have received help from others who have been very kind in taking their time and trouble to offer advice, but then it's only a one-time shot, and if I still get stuck (which I always do), I never hear from them again. So it was really refreshing to find that you have stuck with me until I can now go on to help my grandson. You're a good one!
rayroshi

Re: [Solved] Need Help Making a Number Line

Post by rayroshi »

Hi 'FJCC',
I'm sorry to say that I'm still having troubles. Everything appears to be going great, until it comes to the point where I try to select everything. I can select the colored line and the circular endpoints, but it will not allow me to select the x-axis. I deleted the chart wall, as you said to do, and everything appears to be just fine, but when I try to select the whole thing, the x-axis will not select.

It will also not allow me to include the x-axis in the the rest of the group (the colored line with the circles), when trying to group everything using the SHIFT key. The colored line will group with the end circles, but I cannot include the x-axis.

If I first select the colored line-circles group, it selects just fine, but then when I (holding down the SHIFT key) click on the x-axis, the colored-line circles group deselects. And the reverse will also happen: if I first select the x-axis, it highlights as it should, but then when I (holding down the SHIFT key) click on the colored line-circles, the x-axis deselects. I can select either the x-axis or the colored-line-and-circles group, but not both at the same time.

And if I try to 'lasso' the whole thing by holding down the left mouse key and encircling it all, it will not allow me to include the left axis at all.

There is something about the left axis that is preventing me from selecting, then grouping it. Is the x-axis not considered to be an 'object' or something?
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Try Ctrl+A to select Ctrl+C to copy
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Hi JeJe,

Thanks for your offer to help, but when I try that and then paste it elsewhere, the axis loses it formatting, so I'm still stuck.
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Okay, I just noticed that doing what you said (Ctrl+A > Copy) at least does, in fact, now include the x-axis in the group, so all I now need to overcome is the problem of how to paste it into my Write document intact. Is there some format which I need to use, in order to keep the group all together and looking the same as when I copy it? I tried using 'Paste Special,' then selecting all of the formats offered (Draw 8, Bitmap, Drawing format, GDI metafile), but none of them worked; all of the objects pasted ungrouped and the x-axis lost it numbers)...so frustrating.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Just normal paste Ctrl+V

Edit: (for an image)

Or insert it from the file using
Insert menu/Object/OLE Object

Or you can create the chart using Writer
Insert menu/Object/Chart.

Edit 2:
After pasting and clicking on it a "Text Object" toolbar shows for me (in OO)
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Okay, I have finally figured it out--thanks to the help of you others on this forum who have been so kind as to guide me along. For the sake of anyone else who might need to make a number line, here is a complete list of steps; I'm sure there is probably an easier way, but this way works for me, so here it is: (You might want to copy and paste this into a document to have in hand, while going through all of the steps.
How to Make a Number Line

1. Open OO.
2. Open “Draw” (not Writer)
3. Click on 'Insert' > 'Chart'
4. > 'Chart Type,' (left-hand icon just above ruler).
5. Choose 'X-Y Scatter Plot' > 'OK'
6. Click on 'Chart Data Table' (second icon from left, just above ruler).
7. Delete all data from cells, then close,
8. Delete horizontal lines, y-axis, and legend (little icon of a chart in right space). Be sure to highlight each, first.
9. Highlight the chart wall (line surrounding the chart area), then right-click it and choose 'Format Wall.' (You might have to click on it, then choose 'Edit' first)
10. Click on the frame line, then increase the size of the chart by dragging the slider in the lower-right corner.
11. Choose 'Line Properties' > 'None' Wall should disappear.
12. Click on the 'line' icon (lower-left corner) in the draw toolbar.
13. Highlight the x-axis (might have to rt. click on it, then chose 'Edit,' first)
14. Choose 'Format x-axis, then set all properties (color: black, width: 0.02)
15. Choose the 'Scale' tab, then deselect all of the 'Automatic' boxes.
16. Set all of the 'Minimum,' 'Maximum,' 'Major Interval' (1), 'Minor Interval' (0) values.
17. “O.K.”
18. Click on the 'line' icon (lower-left corner) in the draw toolbar.
19. Draw a line to the desired length.
20. Put cursor on drawn line until it shows as a double arrow, then right-click.
21. Choose 'line.' (icon of ink pen?)
22. Set all values to desired color (Sky Blue 3) and width (0.02) > OK
23. Click on the 'line' icon (lower-left corner) in the draw toolbar, choose ellipse
24. Holding the SHIFT key down, drag the ellipse to the desired size then release the left mouse button (while still holding the SHIFT key down).
25. Right-click the edge of the newly-created circle. A new menu will pop up. Choose 'line' (icon of ink pen)
26. Set the width to 0.02 and the color to 'black > OK
27. To format the center of the circle, choose 'Area,' then select either black or white.
28. To make the second endpoint circle, right-click the first circle, then choose 'copy,' and, using the arrows keys, move the copy to the desired position. (to fine-tune this movement hold down the 'Alt' key as you use the arrow keys.
29. After you have the number line just like you want it, > CTRL + A, to select it all > Modify > Convert > To bitmap > Format > Crop > Change the height of the picture by repeatedly clicking on the appropriate arrow in the 'Left,' 'Right,' 'Top,' 'Bottom' boxes > OK
30. Click on 'Edit' > Copy
31. To paste it into your Write document, select your Write document then CTRL + V
32. Click on the newly-pasted line > Format > Anchor > As Character > Save.
33. Done!