[Solved] Add picture AND text to document

Discuss the word processor
Miss 1928

[Solved] Add picture AND text to document

Post by Miss 1928 »

I know there has to be an easy way to add an image (PDF) to a written document and also add text.

I finally figured out how to add the pdf, then I made the image the size I want it to be on the page, but I cannot figure out how to put the text where I want it to be.
(Should it be a jpeg instead?)

Please forgive my lack of correct terminology, but I'll try to explain my difficulty:

I am tryinig to make a document that has a single pdf image on the lower right quarter of the document.
I am able to type above the image, but when I try to insert text to the left of the image, in the lower left quarter, it takes me to the next page and won't let me insert text next to it.

If there is empty space next to the image why can't I type in any text there?!?

I want a single page document with the lower right quarter taken up with the image/pdf and with text in the rest.
--> How do I do this? <--
I know it must be easy because it seems people do it all the freaking time, but I cannot figure it out. :( :knock:

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Miss 1928 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Miss 1928
OpenOffice 4.1.7. on "Windows 7 professional"
Hagar Delest

Re: Please help this luddite add pdf AND text to her documen

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

First you should export the PDF image as a picture (like .png or .jpg depending on the content). Then insert it in the file with the menu Insert > Picture > From file.
Then change the anchoring of the picture. Set it to To page (the best in your case I think). Then play with the wrapping options.
You can also insert a frame (menu Insert > Frame) if the text has not to flow with the page text.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Miss 1928

Re: Add pdf AND text to document

Post by Miss 1928 »

Thank you! I will try this.
I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Miss 1928
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Another method that might work, depending on your layout, is to insert a table with two columns and one row. You can do this with the menu Table -> Insert -> Table. You can adjust the column widths to have the right column match the width of your image by dragging the central border and enter the text in the left column. You can turn off the visible borders of the table through the menu Table -> Table Properties where there is a Borders tab
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Miss 1928

Re: Please help this luddite add pdf AND text to her documen

Post by Miss 1928 »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

First you should export the PDF image as a picture (like .png or .jpg depending on the content). Then insert it in the file with the menu Insert > Picture > From file.
Then change the anchoring of the picture. Set it to To page (the best in your case I think). Then play with the wrapping options.
You can also insert a frame (menu Insert > Frame) if the text has not to flow with the page text.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
I did all of this. I used a jpg instead of a pdf, but it still won't allow me to insert text to the left of the image. It skips right down to the next page but I want everything on one page with text to the left of the image, not only above or below it which seem to be my only options, not multiple pages...
What am I not understanding?
What am I doing wrong?

(Unfortunately I'm having to use an Italian computer so all the menus are in Italian. So, I'm not exactly sure where to do the "To page" on the anchoring of the image, but I may not want that anyway because I want the image in only one quarter of the page.)

(Also, why is there no crying emoji? Because I need one here.)
(Also, also... I really do appreciate your taking the time to help me.)
Miss 1928
Miss 1928

Post by Miss 1928 »

FJCC wrote:Another method that might work, depending on your layout, is to insert a table with two columns and one row. You can do this with the menu Table -> Insert -> Table. You can adjust the column widths to have the right column match the width of your image by dragging the central border and enter the text in the left column. You can turn off the visible borders of the table through the menu Table -> Table Properties where there is a Borders tab
OK! Thank you.

I'm going to try this!
Miss 1928
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Miss 1928

Post by Miss 1928 »

Hagar Delest wrote:See if that helps: https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... n_the_text
Thank you so much! That link is very helpful. I am bookmarking it!
Miss 1928
Miss 1928

Post by Miss 1928 »

FJCC wrote:Another method that might work, depending on your layout, is to insert a table with two columns and one row. You can do this with the menu Table -> Insert -> Table. You can adjust the column widths to have the right column match the width of your image by dragging the central border and enter the text in the left column. You can turn off the visible borders of the table through the menu Table -> Table Properties where there is a Borders tab

THIS WORKED PERFECTLY!!! :D :bravo: :D

Sorry for shouting, but I am so happy about this. Thank you so much!!!

(Although I haven't finished the document yet, but so far so good!)

Thank you again!
Miss 1928
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Add picture AND text to document

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, I agree with FJCC that embedding the pic in a table is the most robust way (with the pic being anchored "As character").
Anchoring to page and wrapping may be useful for small documents not sensitive to further modification.
In case you have to amend the document, tables may be much better.