Missing text boxes after emailing

Discuss the word processor
Norm510

Missing text boxes after emailing

Post by Norm510 »

Hello, I've been using OpenOffice (OO) for a few years with great success, thank you all.

As of late I have been getting some weird looking results on the "other side" of an emailed document, other side being SENT.

My PC is using OO 4.1.7 with Windows 10, and Gmail (GM), here is what's happening:

I'm importing some images I have "Snipped" with Microsoft (MS) Snipping Tool formatted in .BPN, arranging them by hand on my document. I'm adding some lines with arrows on top of the images, arraigning the images as "Send to Back" thus bringing forth the lines with arrows, I'm making a text box with verbiage next to the images, I'm "Anchoring" each line, image and text box "to the page", saving the documents as a MS Word 97/2000/XP.doc and also as an OO .odt.

In GM I attach a file OO document in .doc OR .odt format, prior to sending the doc, I open it by clicking on the attachment (it shows up in a box at the bottom of the page where I have to manually click to open it) (making sure the original has been closed) the document opens properly, looks good with a small exception of a missing or mis-sized arrow or two, but other than that all looks good.

I send the document off, I see the sent email as the last item in my email chain, I open the sent attached document and the text boxes are missing and the arrows are missing or misplaced AS are these items in my recipient's email.

What can I possibly do to correct these conditions?

Thanks You All

N
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Missing text boxes after emailing

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Has the document to be edited? If not, then export in PDF.
If it has, avoid .doc and if the addressee has MS Office, then it will poorly import the .odt.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Norm510

Post by Norm510 »

Thank you for the input(s) I actually did try saving my documents as PDFs earlier today and it worked and viewed just fine, unfortunately if can not be modified except by me, thanks all
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you need to exchange documents with other users in .doc/.docx, then try LibreOffice (better compatibility) or buy MS Office, that's vendor lock-in policy.

It is not normal however that the document in .odt doesn't work. Can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)? A PDF to see what should be the outcome and the .odt.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10