Why these horizontal lines?

Discuss the word processor
opensezame

Why these horizontal lines?

Post by opensezame »

I still have no idea as to what these horrid artifacts are called and where to go to eliminate them, and prevent their insertion.
I have spent an hour looking and trying to reset options.
Attachments
openofficeLinesto erase7.jpg
OPenOffice v4.1.2 on win10
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Why these horizontal lines?

Post by RoryOF »

They arise, as has been explained, from use of three punctuation characters as a scene or spacing break in a document, at the start of a line. To prevent their future occurrence if they occur while typing, in /Tools /Autocorrect Options, on the Options tab, uncheck "Apply Border" in the [T] column.

To remove existing lines, click in the paragraph immediately above the top line, select /Format /Paragraph, and click on the leftmost icon of "Line Arrangement" on the Borders tab. Repeat this as you work down the intruding lines.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Re: Why these horizontal lines?

Post by Hagar Delest »

On the total width of the page?
Has the text been pasted from somewhere else? It may be HTML formatting from the source.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Seems to be a follow-up of this one. I don't think this is the effect of autocorrect turning three dashes into a line - that'd be much thinner.

@opensezame: please attach a small file with those lines in it, a screenshot tells us nothing. The lines might be a failure of your monitor or other hardware for all we know. I've been around at this forum and an earlier one for some fifteen years, and am fairly certain that I never saw anything like this. That must mean something.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are correct, floris v; if they came from the three character automatic line, they would not extend beyond the margins, as they do in the screenshot.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Lol Rory, I missed that.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at the screenshot on opensezame's earlier thread on this subject
viewtopic.php?t=102938#p498149

They seem to occur also on the screen area, off the document. That makes it look like a computer problem, possibly a graphics driver problem. I suggest turning off /Tools /Options /OpenOffice /View : "Use hardware acceleration" and "Use Anti-Aliasing", then restarting OpenOffice.

What is the resolution of the screen?