Images disappear from Writer docs!

Discuss the word processor
ZodWindsong

Images disappear from Writer docs!

Post by ZodWindsong »

I've been using OpenOffice for years and have been encountering a problem on occasion that seems to also be happening to many other people.

When I place images in a document sometimes they just suddenly all disappear or some of them disappear and the file has to be recovered once OpenOffice has recovered the file the images are completely gone. There is a read error message before the recovery of the document and typically I lose hours upon hours of work.

I have followed some of the suggestions on increasing the memory allotment and the graphics cash and the amount of memory allowed per image, as well as reducing the undo steps but this does not seem to completely correct it it's still occasionally happens!

Are there any other suggestions out there or particular memory or graphic settings that people have found that worked?
Openoffice 4.1 on windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Images disappear from writer docs!

Post by John_Ha »

See Item 16 in See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images. I am certain it a bug. LO is almost certainly better than AOO now that so much work has been done.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
ZodWindsong

Re: Images disappear from Writer docs!

Post by ZodWindsong »

I have discovered it happens mostly when scrolling between pages quickly with a lot of images or sometimes when exporting to PDF with a lot of images and occasionally when switching back and forth between OpenOffice and another program in Windows with a lot of images I only know about open Office writer are you usually don't use most of the other software
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

How are you adding your pics?
If it's a direct copy-paste from the Internet for example, it's likely to lose the pic indeed.
Personally, I always save the file first to the HD (temporarily), then add it with the menu/button Insert>Picture>From file (LibreOffice has a button by default in the toolbar for that).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

John_Ha wrote:in See [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images.
Read #3 and install PixCompress
ZodWindsong

Post by ZodWindsong »

New Discovery?: When I edit some images (jpg) and export them from GIMP (Graphic editing program - latest version) the edited files seem to be the ones that disappear. It typically happens either when I get to 100-120 images and when exporting to pdf sometimes.

hope this helps someone find out what's causing the image loss problem in Writer
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

ZodWindsong wrote:It typically happens either when I get to 100-120 images ...
Correct. It is an image handling / caching problem. See the tutorial for a full explanation. LibreOffice should now be much better than AOO.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LO revamped the code for pictures handling, I think it should do better.

What is the resolution of the pics? Depending on the use of the document, you don't need a high resolution (see tutorial indeed).
One of my biggest file is 36MB, contains 460 pictures (95% jpg), including 140 between 100 and 500KB. No problem at all.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10