[Solved] "Help" broken after 4.1.8 update; Needs Java

Discuss the word processor
Bill
Volunteer

Re: "Help" broken after 4.1.8 update; Needs Java

Post by Bill »

kharrisma wrote:Do I just need to delete OpenOffice and re-download/install it? Maybe the installed program has an issue (though it didn't when I first installed and used it... and I go to the "Help" quite a bit... I'd have noticed, believe me.
It seems that you're saying that this problem did not appear immediately after updating to AOO 4.1.8, but started later. If that's the case, then the problem may have started after updating Java, updating Windows or installing some other program.

If you haven't reset your user profile, then try that. I found an old post describing the same error message after installing AOO 3.4. In that case, resetting the user profile solved the problem. Reinstalling AOO will not reset the user profile.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
kharrisma

Post by kharrisma »

The "skipped" step you mention was done; I neglected to list it in the list of steps I took. The Java install comes up already highlighted, as it's the only one OpenOffice sees. I clicked on it anyway, and in the absence of an "Apply" or "Enable" button, I clicked on "OK." Then closed OpenOffice, re-opened it, opened a document, tried to use "Find" in "Help," and got the same result. Broken. Won't work.

Really wasn't aware that OpenOffice is considered "dead software." Been using it for a long time, and I like sticking with what I already know, rather than jumping on the newest, shiniest bandwagon that comes along just because it's there. Had no problems with OpenOffice until this one, so why would I switch? Anyway, already installed LibreOffice... now I get to see what's different, and then I get to rebuild all my "Styles" shortcuts... in short, start over from ground zero. Which is why I haven't done it already. Looks like now there's not much choice, if I want to use the "Help" functions. And "Find" is not a minor function when you're searching through a mountain of information for the one thing you're looking for... that's why "Find" is IN there. It's a huge time-saver when you're not deeply versed in this "dead software," and keeps me out of here doing this. Until it breaks, and now I AM here. And so far: it's still broken.

@Bidoulle: I've no idea what "AdoptOpenJDK"... why would I do that when AOO wants Java? I installed the most recent 32-bit version of Java from their download page. They list only 3 for Windows: an "online" version, an "offline" version, and an "offline" 64-bit version. I installed the 32-bit "offline" version. It's the real deal, and it OUGHT to work... yet it doesn't. I also installed the 64-bit "offline" version, but had to put it in a different directory, as Java wants to put both of then in the same one directory... replacing whatever is already in there. yeah, maybe it ISN'T supposed to do that.. but it does. Had to manually assign different directories to avoid overwriting the existing one.

I'll try your AdoptOpenJDK... got nothing to lose at this point, do I? If it breaks something else, or just doesn't work, then I'm really not any worse off than I already am, am I?
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on Windows 10 (ecchhh!) and Linux Mint
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Is the radio button next to the selected Java also selected in the Java options dialog in OpenOffice? If not, try selecting it and then clicking Add.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
kharrisma

Post by kharrisma »

Hey Bidoulle,

BINGO! It's fixed.

Downloaded & installed the last LTS version, and the "Hot Spot" version, led AOO by the nose to look at it... which caused it to freeze up for a bit. Shut it down, re-started... and now "Find" works.

Much appreciated!!!
OpenOffice 4.1.6. on Windows 10 (ecchhh!) and Linux Mint
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

kharrisma wrote:I installed the 32-bit "offline" version. It's the real deal, and it OUGHT to work... yet it doesn't.
As it works for millions of users but it does not appear to work for you that suggests something is different in your PC environment, how you are installing it or how you are enabling it. If the other JDK works you are good to go.

As a matter of interest, and something you can easily check, I disabled Java in AOO and closed AOO. I renamed both 32-bit and 64-bit Java folders to Javaqqq to guarantee neither was seen.

When I then started AOO 4.1.8 Help worked fine so I think we have been chasing the wrong hare all along :crazy:

You might have been better to follow Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java which does not list Help as something which uses Java. I would start by looking at Visual C++ runtime.
Attachments
Clipboard01.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] "Help" broken after 4.1.8 update; Needs Java

Post by Bill »

The Index search on the Index tab of Help doesn't require a JRE. The full-text search on the Find tab does.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-01-24 09-21-03.png
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] "Help" broken after 4.1.8 update; Needs Java

Post by John_Ha »

Bill

Good catch! It's always risky making pronouncements based on limited tests without delving into the code. :knock:

I have updated Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java to say Help uses Java.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.