AOO Crashes when Copy-Pasting Discord Conversations

Discuss the word processor
CorvaVespera

AOO Crashes when Copy-Pasting Discord Conversations

Post by CorvaVespera »

As the title suggests, I've been trying to copy chunks of conversations in DIscord, and paste them into Open Office Writer. However, occasionally, OO will crash several seconds after pasting the text. It crashes so thoroughly, in fact, that upon trying to recover the documents, it locks up and doesn't save a backup, at least not that I can tell. It also doesn't seem to send an error report. Worst of all, it's not consistent - sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't, and I can't figure out the pattern behind it. At this point, I've had to resort to pasting the conversations into WordPad and saving it as an .rtf file.
Open Office Ver. 4.1.6
Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: Open Office Crashes when Copy-Pasting Discord Conversati

Post by JeJe »

What's in the Discord conversation? Have you got an example of one that causes a crash (with any sensitive information removed)? Could there be a character outside the range that OO can handle? Or a lot of new line characters instead of paragraph breaks so it exceeds the maximum paragraph size? Have you tried copying and pasting it from Wordpad into OO after putting it into that?
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

To take content from internet through a browser, the best way is to use a special pasting.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To clarify Bidouille's answer, use /Edit /Paste Special and choose "Unformatted text" from the popup.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
opensezame

Re: AOO Crashes when Copy-Pasting Often

Post by opensezame »

Not just Discord.
OO crashing on paste is apparently one of its most treasured features.

It apparently grabs some unseen call for a character or a link it feels compelled to follow , and crashes faster than the team that plays opposite the Harlem Globetrotters.
Locks up in some endless loop without time out and then loses all your unsaved open work, in all its open forms.

Avoidable with unformatted pasting, but that requires rigorous, non spontaneous , unusual attention to that process.
5 extra key strokes, and recalculation of the odds of success, accompanied by review of all open windows to verify recent saving.
It's like not sweeping up all the broken glass and trying to just remembering to avoid stepping in it.
Or not emembering the grenade in your hand doesn't have the pin in it.

Um, maybe make the default, Paste without Format?

Here , hold my grenade.
OPenOffice v4.1.2 on win10