[Solved] Splitting a line of text

Discuss the word processor
Paul A

[Solved] Splitting a line of text

Post by Paul A »

Hi Guys,

I've just started using OO Writer (v 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro) and am converting files from WordPerfect. In WP there's a facility to justify text both left and right, leaving a gap in the middle. This is something I find particularly useful e.g. when writing questions left justified and answers right justified. I can't find the equivalent in OO. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA.
Last edited by Paul A on Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice v 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: Splitting a line of text

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Why not set a tab on the right of the page and that is right aligned?

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the *EDIT button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Paul A

Re: Splitting a line of text

Post by Paul A »

Hi Hagar,

Thanks for your welcome and suggestion. That works perfectly!

Paul.
OpenOffice v 4.1.7 on Windows 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Splitting a line of text

Post by Hagar Delest »

Excellent!
Note that in case the line cannot remain on a single line, using a table with 1 row 2 columns could help. Making the right column right aligned.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

(Also:)
'Justified' is one of the four settings concerning paragraph adjustment you can choose.
What's wrong with it?

Well, it doesn't (and shouldn't, imo) work for the last line of a paragraph. If you want to force two words to be split - one left aligned, the other one right aligned - you can do as already Hagar Delest suggested. If you want to continue this kind of wrapping for many lines, you can also insert a hard linebreak (NOT a paragraph break!) at the end of every such line.

Automatic expansion by spationing (between characters) to make a line needing widening to fill the 'justified' alignement in a pretty way is not suppoerted. This was (is?) used for rather narrow columns (newspapers e.g.) and may only be supported by software for desktop-publishing.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

A Paragraph style has a setting to force a last line to be justified. As Lupp says, this is usually a bad idea; I can only recollect having to use this once in some 50+ years of computer use - it was to do with recreating a damaged page to be inserted into an old book being rebound.
 Edit: This setting is on the Alignment tab of a Paragraph Style, under Options. When Justified is selected, the Last line dropdown becomes active and permits various options to be selected for the last line of a Justified paragraph. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS