[Solved] Footnote Anchor Format

Discuss the word processor
RHE709

[Solved] Footnote Anchor Format

Post by RHE709 »

In Open Office 4.1.7 on Windows 10
How does one change the format of the footnote anchor from default font (style and size) to smaller superscript? I have used Open Office for several years, and only since 4.1.6 have I had the problem. And yes, it prints full size as well as displays it.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open office 4.1.3 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: Footnote Anchor Format

Post by robleyd »

There should be a character style Footnote Anchor which defines the format. Try modifying the Position settings for that style.

I have Superscript set and Relative font size at 58% which I think is the 'default' setting.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The Footnote Anchor will show on Character Styles (F11 key, or /Format /Styles and Formatting); press 2nd icon from left on that window and select Hierarchical or All styles on bottom bar of Window (doesn't show on Applied or Custom selections). The settings for size and position are on the Position tab, for Colour on the Font Effects tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RHE709

Post by RHE709 »

Thanks to both of you. Nothing works.
The following sequence raises the full size character above the line.
Format+>Character->Position->Superscript->untick Automatic (The defalult size is 59%)

The following sequence leads to a dead end
Format->Anchor (drop down menu is grayed out and inoperative. it includes To Page, To Paragraph, To Character, As Character, To Frame)

I had the problem with 4.1.6 and downloaded 4.1.7 in an attempt to solve it. No luck.

dick
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I was able to drop the anchor by up to 100%, change its size, and colour it red using settings on /Format /Character /Position and other tabs in the /Format /Styles and formatting settings (F11 key); anything else will only do it for the selected instance.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

I have 4.1.6 and am able to reduce the size by changing the Footnote anchor character style Font size.

In Tools menu Footnotes/Endnotes make sure you have the character style for the text area set to that style if changes have no effect.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
RHE709

Post by RHE709 »

Thanks to all. I have sorted it out. The footnote setup is as I wanted when dealing with a new document. One of my problems (blush) is that Styles and Formatting was no showing the whole list.
dick
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Styles and formatting offers different selections depending on the choice made in the dropdown on the bottom bar of the Styles and Formating window.
RHE709

Post by RHE709 »

This will drive me crazy. The sequence:
=> Format => Styles and Formatting => Character => Footnote Anchor [back to]=>Format=>Character=> Superscript (raise/lower is grayed out) un-tick Automatic (raise/lower bounces back)
=> Insert =>Footnote/Endnote => numbers/footnote
The result: Footnote anchor appears in text, sized according to the values in Superscript, not raised, but on the line.
Check for consistency
=>Insert =>Footnote/Endnote=>numbers/Footnote
The result: Footnote anchor appears in text, full sized. The partial fix is not only partial, but it is not stable.

Somewhere here I have missed a step. Where?
dick
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

=> Format => Styles and Formatting => Character => Footnote Anchor

Next, right click on Footnote Anchor and choose Modify. Select the Position tab and make changes as needed. The changes will apply to all your footnote anchors - unless you have applied direct formatting to them via Format | Character. Direct formatting overrides the formatting set in Styles; if you have direct formatting you may need to remove it by selecting the affected areas and using Ctrl+M.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RHE709 wrote:The sequence:
=> Format => Styles and Formatting => Character => Footnote Anchor [back to]=>Format=>Character=> Superscript (raise/lower is grayed out) un-tick Automatic (raise/lower bounces back)
This is not a single viable sequence. It is a two-part sequence where the first part selects the Footnote Anchor Character Style, but the second part modifies selected characters in the document text instead of modifying the Footnote Anchor Character Style.

Code: Select all

Format => Styles and Formatting => Character => Footnote Anchor
selects the Footnote Anchor on the Styles and Formatting window.

Code: Select all

Format=>Character=> Superscript (raise/lower is grayed out) un-tick Automatic (raise/lower bounces back)
modifies the character(s) that have been selected in the document text.

To modify the Footnote Anchor Character Style, replace the second part ot the sequence with the instructions posted by robleyd.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It can be useful to read a general overview of using Writer; the techniques described can help also with OpenOffice apps. Many have found this useful:
Writer for students (several languages)
RHE709

Post by RHE709 »

Thanks to all. I have found the answer. :bravo: And, in particular, thanks to RoryOF for the most polite RTFM I have experienced. :knock:

dick