Vertical touchpad scrolling doesn't work on some docs

Discuss the word processor
NotaGirl1

Vertical touchpad scrolling doesn't work on some docs

Post by NotaGirl1 »

Hi! So I have a weird problem.

A while back I stopped being able to scroll vertically in some documents with the touchpad of my laptop. I'm a writer, and I have a lot of documents and I've been using Open Office for years and years and have never had this problem until new. My laptop is new, so I don't think that's the problem either. I've narrowed down the affected documents to one folder, so I tried making a new folder and copied the documents over but had the same issue. I copied the contents of one affected document and pasted it as unformated text into a new document, and the problem persisted. I'm really at my wit's end here, and I don't even know what to try short of uninstalling Open Office entirely (which I don't want to do since I've customized the dictionary and auto-correct so much).

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this?

(English isn't my first language, so I'm sorry if something is unclear.)
Open Office 4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Vertical touchpad scrolling doesn't work on some docs

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Don't delete the old one so that you can retrieve your dictionary and autotexts. If it works, then copy the relevant files to the new profile.
But I'm quite surprised by that behavior with some documents only. Do they have specific content compared to the files for which it works fine?
In such case, can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
NotaGirl1

Post by NotaGirl1 »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

You can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile. Don't delete the old one so that you can retrieve your dictionary and autotexts. If it works, then copy the relevant files to the new profile.
But I'm quite surprised by that behavior with some documents only. Do they have specific content compared to the files for which it works fine?
In such case, can you upload a sample file (see: How to attach a document here)?
Hi and thank you!

There's no specific content in the affected documents, it's all just regular text. I'll try the things you suggested, and hopefully it'll work. :)

EDIT: I tried to reset my profile but it didn't work :cry:
NotaGirl1

Post by NotaGirl1 »

I've done some more troubleshooting on the affected folder and discovered something even stranger. It contains 22 documents, and if I move one to a different folder (regardless which one) the scrolling on the ones still in the affected folder works. If I move the document back, it stops working again.

I checked some older folders that all have 22 or more documents in them, and have the same problem with the scrolling. So it would seem that having more than 21 documents in one folder is the culprit? But I don't see why, or how :lol: I'm really tired of this.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please tell us the name/model of the laptop, and if possible, the type/model of the touchpad.

21/22 is an odd number - one would expect 15/16 or 31/32....
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
NotaGirl1

Post by NotaGirl1 »

RoryOF wrote:Please tell us the name/model of the laptop, and if possible, the type/model of the touchpad.

21/22 is an odd number - one would expect 15/16 or 31/32....
It's a Lenovo IdeaPad L340-15IRH Gaming and the only information I found about the touchpad is that it's an ELAN version 22.4.22.2.