Inserted fields have stopped working

Discuss the word processor
ang23tsg

Inserted fields have stopped working

Post by ang23tsg »

I just installed OpenOffice 4.1.7 in hopes that it would resolve two problems that recently occurred with 4.1.5.
1. I lost the complete dictionary to 'Spell check.' I've tried to 'add' new words to the dictionary but I'll never live long enough to replace the original.
2. I use the 'Insert' for Date, Page #, and # of Pages on a daily basis. Two days ago this feature stopped working and gives garbage like 'Date (fixed)', 'Time (fixed)', and 'Page Numbers' but not the actual numbers as it has done for the last many years.
Where do I go from here?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject; was: Inserts don't work properly
Open Office 4.1.2 with Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Inserted fields have stopped working

Post by RoryOF »

2). /View /Field Names
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
FJCC

Re: Inserts don't work properly

Post by FJCC »

For problem 2, remove the selection from the menu item View -> Field Names.

Problem 1 might be fixed by resetting your user profile. I am not sure about this, so you might want to wait and see if someone else knows better. To reset the user profile:
1. Shutdown OpenOffice
2. Open any folder and enter %appdata%\openoffice\4 in the address bar near the top of the window.
3. You should now be in a folder containing a folder named user. Rename that folder to user_old.
4. Restart OpenOffice. You should get the registration screen. After completing that, check if you dictionary is back.

You can undo the reset of the user profile by removing the newly created user folder and renaming user_old back to user.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

1) As FJCC suggests, resetting the OO user profile should fix this.You probably had a program or computer crash which has caused the problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RByrne6722

Post by RByrne6722 »

Thank you RoryOF for posting the solution to my problem of Fields displaying incorrectly.

Now that it's solved, the solution was obvious. Hindsight is 20/20.

:super:
:D
Robert "Bob" Byrne
OOo 4.1.9
Windows 10 Home