Need help with Open Office 4.1.7 ASCII Filter Options

Discuss the word processor
gweekley05

Need help with Open Office 4.1.7 ASCII Filter Options

Post by gweekley05 »

I need help with 2 urgent issues, please. I am a bit of a novice at this also. Last week Thursday, when I would open and then save my open office documents,
they got corrupted somehow. I started getting a pop up ASC11 Filter Options. Now, I have 4 documents this effected, and when I try to open them, and click OK for this pop up, the documents are simply a series of #s, thousands of them. How do I retrieve my docs, I need them badly. 2nd item, about 2 weeks ago my computer did one of those spontaneous reboots, and I had a open office document I was in the process of creating, but had not saved it yet. Now it is gone. Is there any way to retrieve this one document?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject, was: "… ASC11 …"
Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.7
RoryOF

Re: Need help with Open Office 4.1.7 ASC11 Filter Options

Post by RoryOF »

Previous experience tells that your file(s) will be utterly corrupt. Try the methods in this post, as soon as possible, in the hope of recovering part or all of it.

The damage is possibly due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping has been written to disk, or to computer or program crash. Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with a document open. When you have formally closed down the computer, wait five or ten seconds before pulling the power lead or closing the laptop lid, to allow the internal buffers of the hard drive flush to disk

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file(s) - waste no time with them. Try the recovery methods above.

If you have backup copies (why not?) you should use them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gweekley05

Re: Need help with Open Office 4.1.7 ASCII Filter Options

Post by gweekley05 »

This is a bit above my working knowldedge, can you explain in very simple terms how I can try to fix, what I need? I have a almost new HP Pavillion with Windows 10.
Windows 10, Open Office 4.1.7
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Sorry, I can't help you "fix" the corrupt documents, but I'm curious about the phrase "one of those spontaneous reboots". Are you talking about an automatic reboot after a Windows update? There should be an "active hours" setting in Windows that you can change. Reboots shouldn't happen during the "active hours". Never leave documents open during the "inactive hours".

Disable Windows 10 automatic restart after updates
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

gweekley05 wrote:This is a bit above my working knowldedge, can you explain in very simple terms how I can try to fix, what I need? I have a almost new HP Pavillion with Windows 10.
I haven't used Windows in any detail for over ten years, so cannot guide you through the the steps in any simple way - these steps are instinctive with knowledge of computers, but so instinctive they would only present when faced with a working computer using that operating system. I think you should seek local informed help, which might be another member of your family, or of a nearby family.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
janeandr

Post by janeandr »

I need help with 2 urgent issues, please. I am a bit of a novice at this also. Last week Thursday, when I would open and then save my open office documents,
they got corrupted somehow. I started getting a pop up ASC11 Filter Options. Now, I have 4 documents this effected, and when I try to open them, and click OK for this pop up, the documents are simply a series of #s, thousands of them. How do I retrieve my docs, I need them badly. 2nd item, about 2 weeks ago my computer did one of those spontaneous reboots, and I had a open office document I was in the process of creating, but had not saved it yet. Now it is gone. Is there any way to retrieve this one document?
this happened to me couple of time
the problem was that I do not properly turned off my pc and character encoding got corrupt
managed to resolve this just by manually searching for the right encoding
OpenOffice 4.1.7 and LibreOffice 6.3.3.2 on Windows 7 Pro book report & Ultimate