[Solved] change numbers from 2 decimal points to show more

Discuss the word processor
sjohnston

[Solved] change numbers from 2 decimal points to show more

Post by sjohnston »

Would appreciate help in how to change the number of decimal points in numbers I need to show please.

I have a table in Writer in which I need to express percentages to more then 2 decimal points but Writer changes it when I enter a number greater then that.

For example I need to enter 0.00863256% Writer changes this to 0.01%.

The other thing I need to show is billion, million, thousand but write removes the commas making the number more difficult to read.

For example I need to show 7,811,473,000 Writer changes it to 7811473000.

Many thanks for your help.

Sally j
Last edited by robleyd on Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: change numbers from only 2 decimal points to show more

Post by Zizi64 »

Tip1:

Switch off the automatis number recognition. Then the entered strings will not be recognized and reformat as numbers. The entered characters will not be changed in the text.

Tools - Options - Open/LibreOffice Writer - Table - Input in Table - Number recognition
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

If you have no need for number recognition in tables (you don't want to use calculations in the tables for example) you can globally turn off number recognition in Writer via Tools | Options | OpenOffice Writer | Table - under Input in tables uncheck Number recognition. This will disable number recognition for all future documents until you change the setting again.

Alternatively you can, on a per cell or per table basis, set the cell content to text by selecting the cells, or complete table, right click and use the Number Format option to either set the cells/table to text, or if you need calculations, to the appropriate number format.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
sjohnston

Post by sjohnston »

Thank you Zizi64 & robleyd so much.

My life can go on :D

Sally j
Apache Open Office 4.1.5 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] change numbers from 2 decimal points to show mo

Post by Villeroy »

Number recognition is a good thing even if you don't calculate the numbers. Format the cells as you need them and you can simplify your data entry.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice