Black line across document

Discuss the word processor
opensezame

Black line across document

Post by opensezame »

Edit: Split from [Solved] Thin and Thick black line across document 
Frightful PITA moving on to Libre office and seeing if this is not there
I can only stand so much "helpfulness"
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Post from new person in solved topic requires new topic
OPenOffice v4.1.2 on win10
opensezame

Re: [Solved] Thin and Thick black line across document

Post by opensezame »

Something to do with hidden paragraph command
started a few weeks ago and is a confusing Nuisance

more OO doing me "favors"

I don't know what it is but can clear it with VIEW changes but has been appearing with multiple lines overlying text at the last page of a document.
Nothing seems to identify them
I can move these annoyances to the bottom with several VIEW commands so they dont obscure text and don't print
Can anyone recommend a simple program that is free from inserting overflowing automatic "options" and
"features" that complicate use to no end?
I am not using my WP to publish.
this really lacks utility, as defined by functionality, convenience , simplicity and intuitive access to options
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Uncheck /Format /AutoCorrect /While typing.

You may find it helpful to read
Writer for students (several languages)
which gives a useful synopsis of how to use Writer.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

opensezame wrote:I don't know what it is but can clear it with VIEW changes but has been appearing with multiple lines overlying text at the last page of a document.
Does "View changes" mean the option Edit > Changes > Show? There is no View > Changes option on the View menu. Do you have Edit > Changes > Record enabled? The Edit > Changes options are disabled by default and there is no need to enable them unless you're editing someone else's document and want them to be able to see the changes you have made.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

Nope

was changing from webLayout to PrintLayout several times
no luck after last update

I cannot find what function is being invoked
Clearing borders in paragraph format , moved them to bottom and margins off document, then they reappeared
What I have are several thick black lines , that do not print across the screen obscuring entered text.

The RTFMD comments may be well intended, but submerging in a catalog of that type trying to get the description of the problem has not proven productive in this case
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Black line across document

Post by Bill »

Please upload a sample document so someone can identify the lines. If they're obscuring the text, they should not be borders. They should be some kind of object that can be selected and deleted.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

Thanks
The black lines are of the same number as the end of paragraph marker
I tried looking at the paragraph formatting but one problem is not having the name of the item or function I am trying to evaluate.
Big problem with all kind of trouble shooting is jut getting the jargon glossaried
Attachments
French press coffee.odt
(72.61 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

The attached image shows the last page of the document. I do not see anything unusual on any page. I tried clicking various View settings but I did not see any significant changes. Let's see if someone else gets the same or a different result.
NoBlackLines.JPG
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I am getting the same as FJCC's image.
 Edit: One thought occurs to me: is the line the non-printing page margin? Try turning off /View /Text boundaries. 
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I can't identify the lines because no black lines appear in the sample document when I open it with AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3 or LO 7.0. No paragraphs in the document have borders.

If toggling Print Layout/Web Layout makes the lines move for you, then they may be artifacts produced by your graphics card driver which may need to be updated.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

This is weird
I opened a copy to get a screen print, since it was still being a big deal.
When I did this the lines were there, but as white and not black bands full window width across the document with a passel of them on the background "under" the document as well
When moving the screen window to get a better pic for screen grab, showing the problem, they went away in the moved image.

Open Office locks up and crashes all the windows so often , I uses it only because the cost of having a WP across several computers is not attractive
and it crashed trying to get pics again. Appears to be locking up when a pasted image times out when it turned out to be a link rather than a simple pasting

Here are the screen shots I got for the problem
CANT TOO BIG for 128kb limit
will try something else to get you an image
Thanks I appreciate the hel

edit after work closed
?I hope I remembered to save after every act?
More crashing
Constant problem, with OO
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'm thinking a video driver problem. Try downloading the latest driver for your graphics card from manufacturer's site, and installing it. Don't rely on Windows 10 to use the latest driver.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

opensezame wrote:When moving the screen window to get a better pic for screen grab, showing the problem, they went away in the moved image.
This is a symptom of a problem in the graphics system on your system. It is not the result of some automatic option or feature of OpenOffice. No one else is seeing this problem with your document file.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

THANKS TO ALL
Sorry to be having so many issues, but found a way to get the screen shots to the right size
HERE is a screen capture of what the program is doing as a attachment
sample.jpg
Last edited by robleyd on Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add screen capture as in line image
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Sorry, "the program" still doesn't do this on my computer.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

An Internet search may turn up something that's helpful. It could be the graphics driver or possibly a failing GPU or RAM. Here's something I found on a Windows 10 forum:

Graphic artifacts on desktop
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

You can try to deactivate the Use hardware acceleration in Tools>Options>OpenOffice>View.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar Delest wrote:You can try to deactivate the Use hardware acceleration in Tools>Options>OpenOffice>View.
I think this is the first thing to try. It would be helpful to know the make and model of the graphics card and also the resolution of the video display on the subject computer.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

well
after trying paragraph format, borders
hardware acceleration
hidden character
updated version of oo

All the recommended help and tutorials
this ain't video card issue
I can select text and lines go away
sometimes stay away sometimes return when removing Select

I have never even been able to get the name for what these things in the above jpg are.
sometimes they are big white bands at end of document sometimes black edge to edge lines

ANY TIPS ON EVEN GETTING A NAME FOR THIS ???
Attachments
screen problem open office_3-min.JPG
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Please upload the sample document, not a screen shot; we need to see if there is any internal structuring in the document causing this problem.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A sample document was uploaded last September. No one else who responded reported seeing the lines in the document. I still don't see them in AOO 4.1.10.

This topic was split from a different problem about paragraph borders. The lines in this problem are obviously NOT paragraph borders (the lines go across the whole page, not just the text area). I have never seen such lines in AOO and have no idea what combination of settings might produce such lines. It still looks like a hardware or driver problem to me.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'd like to have hands-on of the current faulty document. The current black lines are extending only across the entire page, not across the entire screen. As they are across the page, not merely between the margins, they cannot be paragraph borders. But if they are a display artefact (from a faulty graphics driver), then they ought manifest on the remainder of the screen (grey background).
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I think I've seen a similar topic not that long ago but can't find it.
Not sure if it was with a Mac but not applicable here in such case.
It was a problem with the screen size IIRC (too large).
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Hagar Delest wrote:I think I've seen a similar topic not that long ago but can't find it.
Not sure if it was with a Mac but not applicable here in such case.
It was a problem with the screen size IIRC (too large).
It shouldn't be a problem with page size in this case, as the page looks to be A4/US Letter in width (see tabs ruler).
 Edit: What is display resolution? 
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The problem was with the screen resolution (too much pixels) leading to such artifacts in the AOO window.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The graphics library OO uses for display control is reported (on Forum) to break if horizontal display is greater than 2560 pixels. Details of display resolution used might eliminate this as a possible cause.
opensezame

Post by opensezame »

Thanks
this has been an ongoing problem, as was noted. I had even tried changing color of paragraph border formats to try and isolate it.
I have a pretty conventional graphics card set up with updated drivers which have not changed the problem. ( need to get a print out of specifics for this Win10 set up)
I'll try different screen resolutions has been @ 900x1440 nvidia GeForceGTX1050 card,59Hz, 8bit,RGB
here is a copy of the above screen shot's file. I would have done this earlier but was aware of inability to reproduce this on uploaded files in past.
Following up on that , when I opened the file below that I screen shotted ,in the OO on my Macbook, the problem is not present.
ED:
ALL THAT SAID WHEN I WENT BACK TO REVIEW THE POSTED DOCUMENT IN *.odt THE lines were gone !!!
KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED. DID YOU GUYS SACRIFICE A CHICKEN OR SOMETHING?
For the life of me, I cannot tell what was changed.

Various things I have tried can make the lines go away, but inconsistently as all get out, and always transient
Ctl-A

No Hidden marks
Sometimes the lines may appear as broad white bands, which may be the same mark formatted as a broad white line. Or this is something else
Always at the bottom or end paragraphs of a document
They indeed seem as if they could be paragraph end borders, some what but that is a WAG on my part.

The most vexing part is that I have no name for decently describing what effect I am seeing, of this edge to edge line.
and not knowing how to better refine my search for what has been happening.
and I apologize for sharing that frustration either by getting flustered , or just not being able to have the vocabulary to present it.

Baffling and distracting as all get out.

Thanks again for your help
Attachments
Tahini Sauce.odt
(21.52 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Thank you for the sample file: definitely _NO_ obtrusive lines of any colour on my computers. I suspect the problem is with the nVidia drivers on your Windows computer. For what it's worth, my computers, running on Xubuntu, are using ATI/AMD graphics cards, but note that they are running on a different operating system to Windows.

It is so long since I used an nVidia card that I cannot remember the low level control panel it supplies.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I made a little search and found some illustrations of the nVidia Control Panel, now integrated (or integratable) into Windows Control Panel. The only suggestion I can make is that adjustment of some of the settings in that nVidia Control Panel will probably help, but not having used Windows in any depth in 12+ years and not having an nVidia graphics card, I cannot make any suggestion based on my experience.

Looking at your specification again, which I repeat here for convenience
screen resolutions has been @ 900x1440 nvidia GeForceGTX1050 card,59Hz, 8bit,RGB
I would immediately use the nVidia Control Panel to set either 16 bit or higher colour resolution - I think 24 and 32 bit might also be available.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RoryOF wrote:I would immediately use the nVidia Control Panel to set either 16 bit or higher colour resolution - I think 24 and 32 bit might also be available.
That "8bit" confused me at first. It's actually "8bpc" (bits per color), which is 24 bit true color.