[Solved] LateX - OpenOffice Writer

Discuss the word processor
training

[Solved] LateX - OpenOffice Writer

Post by training »

HI everyone

My situation
My name is Diego. I'm a physics student. I'd like to use open office writer to take notes and write equations using latex.
I have an issue regarding the use of Latex in Open Office Writer.
My operating system is Windows, last version. My version of Apache open office is 4.1.3

What I did
I downloaded MiKTeX for WIndows and two extensions for open office writer: tex maths & writer2latex.

The issue
I thought everything would be fine, but...
when I try to write equations in open office writer, the program replies with a pop-up, which explains that this operation is not possible because there is no "latex.exe" file on the computer.

This file actually isn't on the computer, even if I downloaded MiKTeX. What should I do?
Thank you very much
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office 4.1.3
Jan_J

Re: LateX - Open Office Writer

Post by Jan_J »

First, `downloaded` is not the same as `installed`. I hope you mean successful installations here.

Second, there are several ways for program communication in OS environments. The oldest, and probably the most robust, is PATH-based. PATH is environment variable responsible for directories being searched for executable that satisfies a command. I believe that Writer's extensions use this way, because it is a kind of `common denominator` for different operating systems, and Writer extensions need to be system-portable by default.

The other way used in Windows OSes involves system registry, i.e. Windows-specific configuration tree. It may be preferred by official Windows-compatible certified installers – however, it is not as general as the former. MikTeX relies strongly on this method. It is highly possible that MikTeX installer does not affect system (or user) PATH environment if not explicitly specified the option.

For checking where your latex.exe (or pdflatex.exe) resides, read here: https://miktex.org/kb/texmf-roots about typical directory structure in MikTeX installation. Then either find installation option like [x] Add directory to PATH environmental variable (or similar), or modify your PATH manually using Control Panel dialogs.

There is also a chance that the extension provides itself a tool for system-wide or per-user configuration. I do not know texmaths at all, so I'm not sure if there is the case. If so, it would be enough to fill latex/pdflatex qualified path in the configuration form.

By the way, light editors that are usual companion for TeX installations (like TeXWorks or Texmaker) seem to be more productive than Writer in creating LaTeX documents. But there is your choice.

Regards,
Last edited by Jan_J on Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
training

Re: LateX - Open Office Writer

Post by training »

Thank you very much for the info.
Open Office 4.1.3