[Solved] How to create label frames manually

Discuss the word processor
Villeroy
Volunteer

[Solved] How to create label frames manually

Post by Villeroy »

Out of curiosity, I try to figure out how the label wizard produces linked frames. I can easily create a first frame with mail merge fields. But how do I add the linked frames that appear in dialog menu:Edit>Links... ?
--------------------------------------------------
And what is that other type of link for when I choose "previous link" and/or "next link" on the options tab of a frame? This adds a connection line between two frames but I can not see what that connection is about and there seems to be no documentation on this strange feature.
Attachments
MM_Frame.odt
Mail merge frame
(8.95 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by Villeroy on Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Re: How to create label frames manually

Post by RoryOF »

Just a guess: might it be that it uses the "print multiple pages on one sheet" mechanism from the OpenOffice Print dialogs?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Villeroy wrote:And what is that other type of link for when I choose "previous link" and/or "next link" on the options tab of a frame? This adds a connection line between two frames but I can not see what that connection is about and there seems to be no documentation on this strange feature.
That type of link can be used to insert text that may overfill a frame. If a frame is linked to a second frame, AutoSize is disabled for the first frame. Text typed or pasted in the first frame will be inserted in the first frame until it is filled, then the text will be inserted in the second frame.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Villeroy wrote:But how do I add the linked frames that appear in dialog menu:Edit>Links... ?
The File → New → Labels wizard uses linked sections inside frames wich use frame style Labels with the AutoUpdate property so a change to Format → Frame → Type → Width/Height changes all the frames. Here is a post about using linked sections in a table, which is easier to create with the user interface than a set of precisely positioned frames.
Bug in custom labels section
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Bill wrote:
Villeroy wrote:And what is that other type of link for when I choose "previous link" and/or "next link" on the options tab of a frame? This adds a connection line between two frames but I can not see what that connection is about and there seems to be no documentation on this strange feature.
That type of link can be used to insert text that may overfill a frame. If a frame is linked to a second frame, AutoSize is disabled for the first frame. Text typed or pasted in the first frame will be inserted in the first frame until it is filled, then the text will be inserted in the second frame.
That's a nifty feature. Of course, I know these "running boxes" in printed text. I did not expect anything like that in Writer.
MrProgrammer wrote:
Villeroy wrote:But how do I add the linked frames that appear in dialog menu:Edit>Links... ?
The File → New → Labels wizard uses linked sections inside frames wich use frame style Labels with the AutoUpdate property so a change to Format → Frame → Type → Width/Height changes all the frames. Here is a post about using linked sections in a table, which is easier to create with the user interface than a set of precisely positioned frames.
Bug in custom labels section
How could I miss the sections in the navigator? I was too focussed on the visible frames.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice