Split Screen Pages to Normal Style

Discuss the word processor
bulmabriefs144

Split Screen Pages to Normal Style

Post by bulmabriefs144 »

So, I've been uploading my documents to Lulu and Amazon. Unfortunately, at some point, I accidentally formatted the removable drive that stored my files. This meant I lost my Expenses/Income spreadsheet and had to make it from scratch (which turned out to be a blessing in disguise) but also two published works became only available as PDF files. After a bit of effort, I converted them back, but then I was faced with three rather nightmarish problems.

1. This thing. The two books, Mune Shinri and New Gaia, are stuck in a sort of split screen.
(Someone point out that there was doxing risk because the copyright data could be seen, so I'm muting that file)
2. When I try to copy/paste it into a new file with normal formats, I find that not only are all lines of text their own text box (meaning even if I did manage to copy and paste properly, I would still have to copy and paste, line by line, until done), but usually copying and pasting imports this format, and I am stuck again!
3. The new style has apparently corrupted the document templates, so existing documents are trying to switch to this mode (which I have yet to figure out how to remove, only to overwrite on some files). I have had to make a template named default from the few (mostly ODT) files and copy and paste what remains of the old one. I have straightened most out the old files, but I cannot make new Text documents without it pulling this thing, and the two converted files are unable to move to a non-corrupted page...

If possible, contact me by email (bulmabriefs144@protonmail.com) and post the answer here. This way, anyone trying to figure this out later understands what to do. For reference, this is Apache OpenOffice not LibreOffice. At my end, it doesn't seem to be a column, and I can't seem to figure out even how this was done.
Last edited by bulmabriefs144 on Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1
RoryOF

Re: Split Screen Pages to Normal Style

Post by RoryOF »

1} Select the single page icon to left of the three page display icons at bottom right of OO window (if Status Bar is shown); else /View /Zoom : Single Page. Then adjust the scale factor in either case - try 100% to start with.

2) that is the way PDF documents are editable. If you need sequential text, you need to pass the PDF document through an OCR (optical Character Recognition) application. These are mostly commercial, but you may be able to locate a free-ware/share-ware one for Windows.

3) sort out your two formerly PDF documents (by OCR) and all should be well.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
bulmabriefs144

Re: Split Screen Pages to Normal Style

Post by bulmabriefs144 »

I later figured out what it was. No, it was NOT that it was zoomed out (that issue is resolvable by holding Ctrl then using the mouse roller to expand and contract). I basically had to do trial and error with a file that was normal.

It was in fact in View -> Zoom, but the problem was that because these were set for viewing by a book company, so it was on View -> Zoom, Columns "Book Mode."

I unchecked this, and found out one of these had another problem because they had a bunch of blank pictures which were way out of margins (yeah thanks alot, whoever formatted this). Anyway, thanks everyone.

As for the PDFs, they were actually in proper format originally, but the publishers edited the format in order to make it more readable for them.
Since it wasn't on my computer, I basically had to salvage from people who published it.

Typically, I convert to PDF using All, Lossless, Unselect Create PDF form (FDF ruins anything with pictures from my experience), and the last three Export options. Always had visually perfect files doing that. But converting back from what someone else did was another matter.
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 8.1