[Solved] Black box that replaces letters when I type.

Discuss the word processor
NutsoBlutso

[Solved] Black box that replaces letters when I type.

Post by NutsoBlutso »

I'm trying to wright a little story, but whenever I need to go back and change something, whether I click on the spot I need to edit or use the arrow keys to get there, this black box pops up and replaces any spaces and characters that are in front of whatever I'm typing, and I can't do anything to make it go away. Maybe it's an intended feature, I can see how it could be, it replaces things as I type in case I wanted to say something completely different from what I had originally typed, regardless, it's very irritating and it needs to stop. I have to go through and delete everything I had typed after the parts I try to fix, just to be able to fix that one little thing properly. Already started looking for alternative programs.
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick [RoryOF, Moderator]
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Black box that replaces letters when I type.

Post by RoryOF »

The Insert key on your keyboard will toggle this behaviour; alternately, if you see the Status Bar at bottom of OO window (/View /Status Bar to turn on or off) clicking on the "DEL" (Delete) in centre of Status Bar will turn to "INSRT" (Insert) and give the same effect.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
NutsoBlutso

Re: Black box that replaces letters when I type.

Post by NutsoBlutso »

Gotcha, thank you, that was driving me insane.
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
JeJe
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Black box that replaces letters when I type.

Post by JeJe »

If you keep pressing the insert key by accident when typing (and don't otherwise use it) one option would be to disable it.

https://technoresult.com/how-to-enable- ... indows-10/
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)