[Solved] How to upload document to Google Drive

Discuss the word processor
JamesEJ

[Solved] How to upload document to Google Drive

Post by JamesEJ »

Confession: I have been uploading Writer documents to Google drive by my own concocted method. I would appreciate knowing what the official method consists of step by step. Jim
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
RusselB

Re: HOW TO UPLOAD DOCUMENT TO GOOGLE DRIVE

Post by RusselB »

Your best bet for official accurate information would be to check Google, as it is their product.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

Your right of course, in part, but Google drive/docs does not have its ducks in a row on this upload subject, and most certainly for Oo Writer documents. Some of you guys must do it too. I'd like to see how you guys do it is all.
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There are extensions for this task. (I never tried them)

https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/e ... /gdriveooo
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/e ... -_YcNW+PDy

And the LibreOffice has a new feature: "Save Remote". Try it with the Google drive.

Or use the synchonization software of the Google. Then you can save your documents into a dedicated local directory. The synchonization software will archive your files onto the Google drive.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Three ways to make use of cloud storage for your documents:

Old school: Save locally and upload when done.
This requires several operations, but is fairly secure and reliable. It causes "data redudancy" (multiple detached copies of a document). Version control of detached copies is entirely manual.
  • Save your document to local hard disk.
  • Start a web browser and log in to the cloud service
  • Upload from local storage to cloud.
  • When you need to work with the remotely stored documents on a different device, you need to log in to the web service and download.
New school: Work directly on remote storage
Office software can be set up to use remote storage directly. This is available with MS Office (OneDrive only I think) and LibreOffice.
One advantage is that it minimizes the hurdles to concurrent work on a file from multiple endpoints. No redundancy (unless you combine this with sync for increased availability), so version control is more or less irrelevant.
The main challenge is that connection protocol sometimes changes. If the software is not updated to handle that change, connection is broken. Microsoft handles both ends of the connection, so they can supply a working solution from their office suite to their cloud storage. For LibreOffice I have the impression that the situation is "less than smooth".

Industry standard: Sync
Install a vendor supplied "sync client" to keep remote storage and local disk folder mirrored. When connection protocol is updated, the client is updated too. No need for updating the office software. Causes data redundancy. Version control of detached copies is largely automated.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

Thanks for the comments guys. Do any of you create a writer document? You want to save it right? You save it so that it is accessible to be opened & read it or printed if desired, correct? What do you do when you save it? What are the steps that you do to do that?

Here are the steps I take. Open Oo writer. Create the document's body. Create a Reference Title for that document. Now click the Oo Writer save button to the upper left. then click the Google Drive folder Icon that appeared. Now paste the Reference Title into the lower file name window. Now click the lower right Save button.

There you have it. At least that is the method I have been using after initiating it by my own trial & error method.

So now its your turn. What are the steps that you guys do please?
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Open Oo writer. Create the document's body. Create a Reference Title for that document. Now click the Oo Writer save button to the upper left. then click the Google Drive folder Icon that appeared.
I suppose that tha Google Drive folder is a local folder (located on your PC). And I suppose that you are using the synchronizing software.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
JamesEJ

Post by JamesEJ »

Zizi64 wrote:
Open Oo writer. Create the document's body. Create a Reference Title for that document. Now click the Oo Writer save button to the upper left. then click the Google Drive folder Icon that appeared.
I suppose that tha Google Drive folder is a local folder (located on your PC). And I suppose that you are using the synchronizing software.
I do find a google drive folder in my windows search and I have no idea about ant synchronizing software.

Hey guys can you tell me what you do to save a document please. what you do, if it works, is what I would like to know. Analyzing my system does not tell me what you guys do that works. tks
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I don't know anything about using Google Drive, but I'd start by looking for videos on YouTube.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Hey guys can you tell me what you do to save a document please. what you do, if it works, is what I would like to know. Analyzing my system does not tell me what you guys do that works. tks
I never saved any document onto the Google drive or to other remote plases directly.
Always work on the local storage devices with the AOO or LO, and use third party file manager softwares to move/copy your important files into the clouds.
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

JamesEJ wrote:Hey guys can you tell me what you do to save a document please. what you do, if it works, is what I would like to know. Analyzing my system does not tell me what you guys do that works. tks
To save a document I use menu selection File - Save, or sometimes keyboard shortcut ctrl+S. I have already installed the synchronizing client, which created the synchronized folder on my computer. When I save to that, the file is automatically synchronized to cloud storage when I am connected to the internet.

It works. The procedure is almost identical for Google Disk, Dropbox and OneDrive, but components and names differ. I do not use Google Disk for computer sync, but MS OneDrive. I suspect that a detailed description of my setup will confuse you because of the minute differences, so I avoided that.

The three strategies I outlined previously are the general ways you can use cloud storage. There is not one officially correct procedure which is right for everyone. Use whatever works for you.

Why do you ask? Are you experiencing problems, are you uncertain of where your files are, do you get error messages or warnings, or is there some other reason?
JamesEJ

Re: How to upload document to Google Drive

Post by JamesEJ »

Got it solved. there was a good treatise in a forum question & answer discussion that laid it out perfect. Thanks a whole lots folks. Jim
Open Office writer 4.1.1
windows 7 home premium