After saving the file with .doc extension, error when reopen

Discuss the word processor
vakafx

After saving the file with .doc extension, error when reopen

Post by vakafx »

The situation is like this, I compose the document on the OpenOffice Writer software suite, then I save the file with the .doc extension to move elsewhere (Because the partner does not use openoffice but only the word MS). But after sending it, I received a response that when reading that file with MS office software, it got many formatting errors, such as jumped tabs, tables were also skewed, shapes could not be read. , and many other things.
So, to fix this, what should I do? Is there any tool to support automatic conversion and synchronization of formats between these two software?
OpenOffice 3.1 tr??n Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: After saving the file with .doc extension, error when re

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Try LibreOffice, it has a better compatibility with foreign formats.
Else, buy MS Office.

The MS Office formats have been designed to be compatible with... MS Office and that's all. Welcome to the vendor lock-in policy.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Things should not be that bad.

Check the recipient has the fonts you are using as if not layout will change.

When saving as a .doc file you can only save that which the .doc file supports so, after saving it, open the saved .doc file and see what it looks like. Correct any faults and try saving it again. See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for an explanation, a description of differences, and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.

Try sending a .odt file - all versions of MS? Word can read and write .odt files.

If the recipient does not need to edit it send a PDF which will be perfect.
Attachments
Differences between files.png
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Are you still on the version 3.1? Then upgrade to the latest Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice, both incorporate improvements in their export filters. My advise: install both and see which one produces better output for your case.
vakafx wrote:…the partner does not use openoffice…
And why not? Suggest them to try it. They won't loose anything.
Last edited by esperantisto on Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

John_Ha wrote:Try sending a .odt file - all versions of MS? Word can read and write .odt files.
Total nonsense. Word prior to 2007 SP1 can't read ODT files at all.

Word 2007 and 2010 read them with lots of errors.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

esperantisto wrote:
John_Ha wrote:Try sending a .odt file - all versions of MS? Word can read and write .odt files.
Total nonsense. Word prior to 2007 SP1 can't read ODT files at all.
True, as I point out in the tutorial. I didn't add the qualification as I doubted many are using 13 year old software now.

As for errors, see the tutorial for a list of incompatibilities.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.