OpenOffice Writer: Questions regarding mailing lists

Discuss the word processor

OpenOffice Writer: Questions regarding mailing lists

Postby Deepcandle » Fri May 29, 2020 8:31 am

Hi there, this is my first post on the forums here - I tried to find a more appropriate place for this (after having already searched a few different times to find an answer to my questions) but since I am a fairly new operator and this covers a base, writer and probably a couple of other AOO suite programs I thought I'd ask here; sorry if this is inappropriate, no harm intended

The setup;
[] OpenOffice 4.1.7 running on Windows 10

The goal;
[] setting up an automatic mailing list and format for a newsletter subscription sort of gist

Previous context;
[] So leading up to this post I've set up a basic mail merge table on Base - I did this using Base to create a data table directly rather than doing one in Cell and then plugging that into Base - and written up a short example email to test out the mail-merging function, using data fields such as [ID], [Subscriber Name], [Subscriber (email) address]

The Issue;
[] I've noticed that generally, even though I've used a valid email as a [subscriber address] for a test run the email can't send - to me the error code looked a bit like gibberish, but it mentioned something about needing to connect to an STMP or SMTP server first, however the target address seemed to not cause any issues in itself

The Qs;
[Q1] Does the software allow you to send the email directly (i.e. testfire it without running it through an STMP server) or do you have to do a completely live test and establish your own server first?

[Q2] Can you automate the service using basic tool sets, or is there limited functionality without scripting or macro'ing it in yourself? what's your advice on this matter, regarding someone who has a lot of time but no programming knowledge currently?

[Q3] Does AOO interface well, or at all with CSS and HTML in itself? As I'm planning to plug the mailing service into a website after all, I don't want to invest in learning more advanced aspects of this unless I can use it fairly smoothly
[Q3B] In addition to this, will I simply be able to use AOOBase or AOOCell and use a separate software to access that data through the website script or will it have to be accessed by the website, via the local drive or relative/absolute linking
[Q3C] Are there any expansive tutorials relating to using AOO to achieve this sort of HTML/CSS interfacing or is that a skill set which is not really related to the AOO suite in itself (such as programming etc.)?

Thank you for reading my questions, any advise or feedback will be greatly appreciated

Cheers, Deepcandle
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Deepcandle

Re: OpenOffice Writer: Questions regarding mailing lists

Postby Zizi64 » Fri May 29, 2020 10:04 am

The AOO and the LO have not any built-in Email client component.
Use the Thunderbird as a third party, free and real Email client software to send mails from the office suite.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Postby robleyd » Fri May 29, 2020 10:25 am

[Q1] You are using Windows; have you configured an outgoing mail server, and added other information, in (with Writer open) Tools | Options | OpenOffice Writer | Mail Merge Email? And tested the settings? If you have, and you still get an error, please post the error in full.

[Q3] It is likely that your hosting provider will have some sort of mailing list capability. You are probably better off using that. Depending on your website, it may even be a feature of the CMS if you are using one - Wordpress for example.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Postby Deepcandle » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:01 am

Apologies for the late reply, I'll testfire it again to emulate the error and get back to you with a code when I can; Thanks for the help so far

in response regarding [Q1] for now, I didn't have a server configured or attached to it - I haven't really looked into setting that up yet but it sounds like it needs a server address plugged in to function? I'll reply later with a full error code in any case but I appreciate the feedback
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Windows 10
Deepcandle

Postby Zizi64 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:14 am

I haven't really looked into setting that up yet but it sounds like it needs a server address plugged in to function?

Mailserver.png
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Writer