[Solved] How to open a file that won't open?

Discuss the word processor
amgross

[Solved] How to open a file that won't open?

Post by amgross »

Hi Folks,
I am at my wits' end on account of not being able to open a document that's very important for my friend. It's his Master's thesis, and I corrected it for the English since he's not a native English writer. I tried to send it to him and when he tried to open it an error message came up. I had the same problem when I tried to open it up. I did a good number of hours' work on it and made a number of big suggestions for changing the thesis. Has anyone come up against this error message?
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,5418 (row, col).
I have also attached the document in case anyone is able to send it back to me in a format that can be opened.
I appreciate your consideration very, very much!
All my best,
Andrew
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: File deleted for academic confidentiality [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
FJCC

Re: How to open a file that won't open?

Post by FJCC »

I got 70 pages back. Check everything carefully!
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri May 29, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Here is what I got: I upload as sometimes two different repairs give slightly different content. Please let us know when you have downloaded and that all is reasonably well, and we will arrange to remove the works.
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri May 29, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

JubranMuyiniMAEDthesis2020.monday may25.1.odt
Use only one dot in a file name: for separating the extension of the file name (.odt).
(And do not use any other special characters The file names with special characters sometimes and somewhere will work, but in some other cases they will not work.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The file was corrupted because of a known bug in AOO when comments attached to a range of characters are deleted with Record Changed set to ON. It is not yet known whether the error is introduced when the comment is added or deleted.

The full rules for path and file names are specified in Naming Files, Paths, and Namespaces where you can see that you can use a period in a file name but not as the last character.
Use any character in the current code page for a name, including Unicode characters and characters in the extended character set (128–255), except for the following reserved characters:
< (less than)
> (greater than)
: (colon)
" (double quote)
/ (forward slash)
\ (backslash)
| (vertical bar or pipe)
? (question mark)
* (asterisk)
Do not end a file or directory name with a space or a period. Although the underlying file system may support such names, the Windows shell and user interface does not. However, it is acceptable to specify a period as the first character of a name.
Also remember that Windows perversely allows you to create filenames which break the requirements (especially for maximum characters in a path) without throwing an error message. It is only when you try to access such a file you get a problem.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

The file was corrupted because of a known bug in AOO when comments attached to a range of characters are deleted with Record Changed set to ON. It is not yet known whether the error is introduced when the comment is added or deleted
I think users need a list of these known bugs perhaps? The ones that can do that at least...
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
amgross

Post by amgross »

I can't thank you all enough!!! I was able to open the one that Rory sent and sent it to my friend, who made his deadline today. Thank you so much!!! For some reason, I hadn't noticed FJCC's, but thank you to you, too!!! Many thanks to you all as a community! I appreciate it very much indeed!!!
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista