[Solved] Saving files as .docx or .xlsx on Mac

Discuss the word processor
NadiaNormandy

[Solved] Saving files as .docx or .xlsx on Mac

Post by NadiaNormandy »

Can I apologise in advance if I am being incredibly dumb (wouldn't be the first time!).

Is there a way to save text and spreadsheet files as .docx or .xlsx files with OpenOffice, please? I'm using OpenOffice v 4.1.7 on a Mac running Catalina and have just been offered a job that will require me to send these sorts of files/documents. All sensible (and in a simplified language I'm likely to understand!) will be very much appreciated! I've updated OpenOffice today and the option to save files with these extensions is not available.

Thanks in advance,

Nadia
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri May 15, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Nadia
OpenOffice v 4.1.7
Mac Catalina
RoryOF

Re: Saving files as .docx or .xlsx on Mac

Post by RoryOF »

Saving in these formats is not currently available on OpenOffice. You need to change to LibreOffice, or, if many documents in those formats, install MS Office for Mac.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
NadiaNormandy

Post by NadiaNormandy »

Thank you! You may have just saved my sanity.
Nadia
OpenOffice v 4.1.7
Mac Catalina
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences and for why you should always work in, and save Writer files as .odt, Calc files as .ods, Impress files as .odp etc.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.