Lost document in recovery process

Discuss the word processor
DanaB

Lost document in recovery process

Post by DanaB »

Hi everyone, I tried asking this before in reply to an already existing post, but no reply yet and I need urgent help, so I'm trying again with a new post, sorry. :? I was working on an odt document and was nearly finished when I needed to look something up in an old powerpoint, which crashed my OO ('OO terminated unexpectedly'). On reopening, it asked me if I wanted to recover my files, which I did, and all of them were fine except the one I was working on. About 90 per cent of my day's work was gone despite Autosave every 15 mins being on. I know, should've made an extra copy. :roll: So I managed to find the backup folder in the meantime, but there's no bak-file in there for my document. (Weirdly, there are not that many files in there anyway?) I checked the Temporary folder too, there is the bit of the work that was recovered in there but nothing more. I suppose that's it and I just have to try and rewrite it, or can you think of one last trick to recover the file? Thanks!!
Open Office 4.1.5 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Lost document in recovery process

Post by John_Ha »

As it is today's work and the file has not been saved with your new work the only place where what you typed today exists is (was!) in memory and in AutoRecovery files. You need to look for AutoRecovery files. See ideas in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files which gives detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.