Max Space Allowed for Footnotes

Discuss the word processor

Max Space Allowed for Footnotes

Postby James Bejon » Wed May 13, 2020 12:10 pm

Dear All,

OpenOffice seems to set a cap on how much of a page footnotes are allowed to occupy. For instance, if I write a footnoted sentence at the top of a page and manually insert a page break, I’m not able to fill up more than about two-thirds of the page with footnotes. Does anyone know how the relevant cap can be altered?

Many thanks,

James.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4
James Bejon

Re: Max Space Allowed for Footnotes

Postby JeJe » Wed May 13, 2020 12:51 pm

Maximum footnote height is set by the page style: Format menu/Page.../Footnote. Doesn't look like it can be made bigger than a certain amount.

If you want something like that you can insert a section and in the options set the footnotes to collect at end of text.
Openoffice 4.1.6
Windows 8
JeJe
Volunteer

Postby James Bejon » Wed May 13, 2020 3:53 pm

Pity. Good idea though. May resort to that. Thanks for the reply, James.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7
macOS Catalina Version 10.15.4
James Bejon

Postby RoryOF » Wed May 13, 2020 4:42 pm

As a rough guess (visual assessment), it looks like the standard setting for footnotes allows them fill the bottom 4/5th of the printable area, with 1/5th reserved for the text block in which the footnote anchor is located. Continuation footnote text is continued on the following page, occupying the bottom 4/5th of the page.

I suggest that a footnote of that size - indeed, a footnote of more than a line or two - ought be inserted as an endnote, as such a large footnote interferes with the flow of the article. But it is your decision.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer