[Solved] Trouble with selection to create section

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Trouble with selection to create section

Postby solicitr » Sat May 09, 2020 8:33 pm

My current paper has a chapter/section which comprises exclusively full-page tables, plus endnotes. The problem is that I can't create the section, because apparently I can't select more than a single page/table at a time. Help!
Last edited by robleyd on Sun May 10, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10
solicitr

Re: Trouble with selection to create section

Postby RoryOF » Sat May 09, 2020 9:02 pm

I haven't time to fiddle with that, but I suggest a workaround. Make your selection using say a blank paragraph. Then select and Copy each table, paste it int the section - a coloured background to a section can be useful, which you can turn off later). When you have each table copied and pasted into the section, you can then delete them from their positions outside. I suggest Copy/Past rather than Cut/Paste, in case you make a mistake. The Copy leaves the table in position for another attempt.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby solicitr » Sat May 09, 2020 9:12 pm

Worth a shot, I'll try it
solicitr

Postby JeJe » Sat May 09, 2020 9:31 pm

You can put a paragraph before the first and after the last table using Alt+enter in the first or last column/row. Then select the tables using those paragraphs, create the section, and remove the added paragraphs.
Openoffice 4.1.6
Windows 8
JeJe
Volunteer

Postby solicitr » Sat May 09, 2020 9:37 pm

JeJe wrote:You can put a paragraph before the first and after the last table using Alt+enter in the first or last column/row. Then select the tables using those paragraphs, create the section, and remove the added paragraphs.

Worked like a champ! Thank you!
solicitr

Postby RoryOF » Sat May 09, 2020 9:57 pm

It is useful, when doing any serous (i.e., non-trivial) editing, to turn on /View /Non Printing characters; this allows precise positioning of the cursor in the text and can disclose the causes of unexplained formattings. The display is non printing, and can be turned off by the same command.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Return to Writer