OpenOffice Writer file is not responding

Discuss the word processor

OpenOffice Writer file is not responding

Postby LittleVee » Thu May 07, 2020 7:22 am

I have OpenOffice Writer file which is 525 pages in length. Every time, I open the file, OpenOffice stops responding and then goes in to Recovery Mode. Even after completing the recovery process, OpenOffice does not respond and again goes in to Recovery Mode. What changes can be made to allow OpenOffice to open the file properly and work with it? If not possible, is there a way to split the file in to parts of 100-150 pages, so that they are easier to manage?
OpenOffice Ver 4.1.7
Windows 10 Home
LittleVee

Re: OpenOffice Writer file is not responding

Postby FJCC » Thu May 07, 2020 8:03 am

The file may be damaged. I just made a 561 page file of pure text and OpenOffice handles it easily and it opens within a couple of seconds. First make a copy of your file in case the corruption gets worse. Can you upload the file here or to someplace others can access like google drive? To upload here, click Post Reply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response. The size limit here is 128 KB.
How big is the file on your disk?
Is it purely text or are there images?
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby RoryOF » Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 am

I have made and edited (so slowly, not really practicable) files of more than 20,000 pages on OpenOffice, so the page count is not a difficulty. An uploaded file would lead to a speedy resolution of your problem.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby John_Ha » Thu May 07, 2020 9:59 am

Try this.

1. Create a new, empty .odt file with the same page format.
2. In the new file go Insert > File ..., and insert the faulty file.
3. Save.

Is the new file OK?

If not, upload the file showing the problem so that it can be analysed. Use a file share site, Dropbox or Google Drive.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby Zizi64 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am

OpenOffice does not respond and again goes in to Recovery Mode. What changes can be made to allow OpenOffice to open the file properly and work with it? If not possible, is there a way to split the file in to parts of 100-150 pages, so that they are easier to manage?

Andrew Pitonyak's free macro programming books was written in Writer. Just download one of them, and try to open it. (Enable the macros)

http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

It is a nearly 700 page document with many images and special formatting properties, and it open for me without any problem:
http://www.pitonyak.org/OOME_4_0.odt
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Writer