Line and Paragraph Spacing

Discuss the word processor

Line and Paragraph Spacing

Postby Sesamus » Sun May 03, 2020 3:46 pm

I have been using Open Office for quite a while but only recently have I been adding in quotes and excerpts from other articles.

Sometimes when I copy and paste things in from elsewhere it changes things because the piece copied in will have different spacing to the piece I have written myself.

So I would like to know 2 things:

1. Is there a way for me to see what the spacing is

and

2. Can I simply highlight everything and make both segments the same?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Séamus
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun May 03, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to Writer
Open Office 4.1.5 INstalled on 2 Machines Windows 10 and Windows 7
Sesamus

Re: Line and Paragraph Spacing

Postby RoryOF » Sun May 03, 2020 4:08 pm

Turn on /View /Non printing characters; that same command again turns off the display. This command shows the spaces and tab characters; it also shows line breaks (left pointing hooked arrow, caused by Shift Enter - use sparingly) and Paragraph marks (Backwards P characters, recte Pilcrow, caused by Enter). If a new line is blank, with no defining character, after a Pilcrow, it is caused by the Paragraph Style's Indents and Spacing tab, Space after paragraph setting. If it is a blank line in as sequence of text lines without Pilcrow terminations, it is caused by Line Spacing setting, again in the Paragraph Style's Indents and Spacing tab.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby Sesamus » Sun May 03, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks for that information Rory, that's very helpful. :)

Séamus
Open Office 4.1.5 INstalled on 2 Machines Windows 10 and Windows 7
Sesamus

Postby Zizi64 » Sun May 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Sometimes when I copy and paste things in from elsewhere it changes things because the piece copied in will have different spacing to the piece I have written myself.

NEVER paste formatted contents from the internet, or from foreign file format documents. Use the Paste special - unformatted text, and format the content with the Styles.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Writer