Autosave was on, but it tried to do a recovery, failed

Discuss the word processor
kpence21

Autosave was on, but it tried to do a recovery, failed

Post by kpence21 »

**URGENT*** (nursing student. This was my study guide for an exam!!!*
Background info:
My laptop got stuck in sleep mode, so I had to do a hard reboot. I had autosave on my office writer that was saving my work ever 10 minutes ( 4.1.7 version) so I was good.

When I had turned my laptop on, and opened office writer back up, it popped up asking to do a recovery of the document... well when it did this, it only pulled up the beginning of the study guide (which was practically nothing). I have never done a recovery of any documents on this before and I don't even know how it started the recovery because I didn't hit okay I hit cancel.

Long story short, is there any way I can get my work back?!
I am now freaking out on the verge of tears because I have two exams to study for and I was so close to getting this first study guide done.

Much appreciated!
open office 4.1.7 on dell intel windows 10 laptop
FJCC

Re: autosave was on, but it tried to do a recovery, failed.

Post by FJCC »

You can try the suggestions here but it is a long shot.
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=85038
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Re: Autosave was on, but it tried to do a recovery, failed

Post by Hagar Delest »

And forget about the Autosave feature. Better hit Ctrl+S or click the save icon as much as possible. And sometimes make a hard copy.
There are extensions for that with timestamping.

Good luck.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

kpence21 wrote:**URGENT*** (nursing student. This was my study guide for an exam!!!*
Background info:
My laptop got stuck in sleep mode, so I had to do a hard reboot. I had autosave on my office writer that was saving my work ever 10 minutes ( 4.1.7 version) so I was good.
Carefully follow the Tutorial and your chance of recovering it is high especially if it was a .odt file. It is less likely if it was a .doc file.

You must switch on Show hidden files!

1. As you had AutoRecovery (your AutoSave), assume you were editing fred.odt, look in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\backup\ for fred.odt_0.odt. This is the file as it was when it was last saved by AutoRecovery. You could also look for deleted versions. " xxxxxx " here and below is your username on your PC.

2. The temporary files should still be there so look for them in C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\

3. If the file is quite old Windows Restore Previous Versions might have a copy.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
DanaB

Post by DanaB »

Hi @JohnHa, that sounded promising, maybe you can save me, too: I found this post because I have a similar problem, although on a Macbook. Open Office crashed when I tried to open an old powerpoint presentation. On reopening OO it asked me if I wanted to recover my documents, and all of them worked out except of course the really important one I was working on at the moment (an odt)! Despite Autosave being on, it only recovered like 10 percent of what I had done today. I know, should've made an extra copy. Is there any chance I can find the rest? Thank you!
Open Office 4.1.5 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6