[Solved] Can't Close Rogue Symbol Section; Java has Died

Discuss the word processor

[Solved] Can't Close Rogue Symbol Section; Java has Died

Postby HoggyDog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:14 am

I needed to make a rudimentary address label for a package. Unable to find any "mailing label" format or wizard (and further unable to use OOW Help because suddenly it doesn't like my version of Java any more but will not give me any help without it, but clicking Tools > Options . Java > Add and browsing to where my JRE is stored (C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_251\lib\rt.jar) results in false statements that "this folder doesn't contain a Java Runtime Environment), I just typed the return and addressee addresses into a default-formatted Writer document.

Since cutting perfect right angles with a pair of scissors is not my forte, I decided to put a nice rectangular border around my to-from addresses to make it easier for me to cut out a credible rectangular label, and of course, to wow the postal mail girl with my professionalism and tech-savvy acumen. After considerable poking around, during which time I discovered that OOW does not allow one to simply insert a rectangular shape :crazy: I hit Insert > Shape (or something similar, it's been 2 hours ago so I've forgotten now how I got to where I am now) and a nice little section opened up, just chock-a-block full of arrows, circles, cute little environmental icons, etc. but of course, no rectangles, and again, no help because OOW has stopped recognizing my installed JRE and lies to me when I tell it where it is. :x

So I bit the bullet and printed out the label (I was 3 hours into a simple 6-line label at that point, please don't ask why I didn't just scribble it on the package after the first 10 minutes of epic fails) and cut it, crookedly, without guidance- it is neither a rectangle nor a parallelogram, but simply an irregular quadrilateral shape with wavery edges. I'm so proud of it. :D

Anyway, now I can't close the #$%^&* windowlet full of cutesy arrows and other shapes! Even closing OOW and opening it again without any document loaded doesn't clear the window! :alarm:

So please, can someone tell me how I can get rid of this irritating unclosable section of slings and arrows? Extra points for helping me figure out why OOW suddenly doesn't like my JRE even when I rub its obstinate little nose in it...

Thanks.
Attachments
OOWriterCantCloseStupidWindow.png
This is the symbols window that is now stuck open in all documents
Last edited by HoggyDog on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows 7 x64
HoggyDog

Re: Can't Close Rogue Symbol Section; Java has Died

Postby Bill » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:28 am

The Gallery icon on the Toolbar is activated. Click it to close the Gallery.
AOO 4.1.7, LO 6.3.6.2 and LO 6.4.3.2 on Kubuntu 20.04
Bill
Volunteer

Postby FJCC » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:29 am

You can close that display by selecting the menu item Tools -> Gallery.

To draw a rectangle, you first have to display the Drawing tool bar by selecting View -> Toolbars -> Drawing. Click on the rectangular icon and then click-and-drag to draw the rectangle. You can change the fill color of the rectangle by right clicking on it and selecting area. You probably want no fill color, so change the topmost drop down from Color to None. After doing that, if you want to select the rectangle to move it, you have to click on its border.

To select a Java jre, use the method you tried but select the home folder, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_251
Windows 10 and Linux Mint, since 2017
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
FJCC

Postby HoggyDog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm

Thank you for your reply- I never would have thought of Tools >> Gallery to clo0se that since "Gallery" isn't a very intuitive handle for it, and I wouldn't have thought of a Drawing Toolbar to access a regular shape (rectangles, triangles, circles, etc.) And in the final analysis, there would've been no need for me to post here if the help function worked.

As for Java, the "home folder" was the first option I tired, to which OOW responded with "There is no JRE in that folder." That's why I drilled down to the actual file rt.jar. Regardless, thank you for your solutions- I'm going to mark this solved.
HoggyDog

Postby HoggyDog » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:53 pm

Bill wrote:The Gallery icon on the Toolbar is activated. Click it to close the Gallery.
Thank you- I'll try to find the "Gallery" Icon. Most of my issue was that I didn't know what to call it (as you can see from my OP) so even if I had stumbled upon a toolbar button that said "Gallery" it wouldn't have triggered that "AHA!" moment.
HoggyDog

Re: [Solved] Can't Close Rogue Symbol Section; Java has Died

Postby robleyd » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:47 am

See Troubleshooting Open/LibreOffice and Java for help with getting AOO and Java to play nicely together.
Cheers
David
Apache OpenOffice 420m2(Build:9821) - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
LibreOffice 6.0.7.3 - Slackware 14.2 - 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.4 - Windows 7 Virtual machine
robleyd

Return to Writer