Have you been using Open Office in Hebrew (or Arabic)?

Discuss the word processor
david613

Have you been using Open Office in Hebrew (or Arabic)?

Post by david613 »

While we type a text in Hebrew (or Arabic) and when the written text is too long for a single page, a second page appears.

When we write in English, that second page appears on the right but when writing in Hebrew, it should appears on the left.

Apparently, that makes it impossible to write a book in Hebrew on Open Office.

If you use Open Office in Hebrew (or Arabic) you might have find a solution to that problem.

Could you share it on the forum? :bravo:
OpenOffice 4.1.1. on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Have you been using Open Office in Hebrew (or Arabic)?

Post by RoryOF »

What happens if you start using a Left Page Style, modified to have (on its organiser tab) a Right Page as the follow on style. The Right Page Style also needs to have its follow on style modified to be Left Page Style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For the record, I'd filed a bug report that would apply to this case too, see the last post of the tutorial for page numbering: The odd and even pages rule.

-> Issue 88361 - Disable even=left/odd=right page rule to avoid page numbering issues.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
david613

Post by david613 »

RoryOF: I will try your suggestion but before, I have to become used to Style. I never used that option. Thank you for the advice.

Hagar Delest: I'm happy to see your bug report because this is exactly the problem I have to write a book in Hebrew.
On the other hand, your report was made seven years ago. How! Nothing happened meantime?
OpenOffice 4.1.1. on Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

To learn to think in Styles is a major change in one's work pattern. You may find these documents of assistance:

There are many works on formatting long documents in either OpenOffice or LibreOffice; the "Writer for Students" reference (2nd URL) is relatively brief.

The file referenced in this posting gives an overview of the rationale behind using styles:
Structure Instructions

This document may be informative on how to actually use them:
Writer for students (several languages)

This document covers much the same ground as the previous document. It will be helpful for those writing a book
http://documentation.openoffice.org/whi ... th_OOo.odt

For Mac users there is much useful information in
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=89283
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

1. Googling for a Hebrew word processor quickly found Davkawriter 7 for windows which says
DavkaWriter 7 is the premiere Hebrew/English word processor for Windows. It can handle everything from short documents and memos to full-length books and articles ...
Hebrew/English footnote and page numbering
2. Ask a synagogue what software they recommend.

3. Google for an author who writes in Hebrew. Contact them and ask what they use.

4. Contact a university in Israel and ask what software they recommend.

5. Contact a publisher which publishes in Hebrew.

6. Be sure to distinguish between getting the text into electronic form, where AOO should be fine; and creating and laying out a book from that text, which may well use different software. Does Adobe Acrobat, which supports Hebrew, do good Hebrew layout?
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Also asked on AskLibreOffice
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers