Cannot open DocX, prompted for "filter selection"

Discuss the word processor

Cannot open DocX, prompted for "filter selection"

Postby MrKrawk » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:37 pm

I cannot open press releases from Universal Home Entertainment in Open Office. I am prompted for a filter selection, and no matter what I seem to try, it says it is an invalid file. The file is viewable within my web browser (FireFox) and when I uploaded it to Google Drive, the preview shows the documents.

Here is the actual URL to the document. If you choose to download it to your local hard drive, it does not open. In the past I never had issues with their docs.

https://thinkjam.app.box.com/s/u07yx71bzfj4qagw55erf8wi8bqcbxzq/file/646524759304
OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Win 10-64 SP2
MrKrawk

Re: Cannot open DocX, prompted for "filter selection"

Postby RoryOF » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 pm

Try Abiword; if you wish to edit, copy paste from Abiword to OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 20.04.1 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby MrKrawk » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:53 pm

RoryOF wrote:Try Abiword; if you wish to edit, copy paste from Abiword to OpenOffice.

Thanks, will give it a try. So you're suggesting Open Office cannot read this document?

Errr, just visited the home page:
"Please note Windows users: Due to lack of Windows developers on the project, there is no longer a version available for download."

FWIW, I did notice Google Docs will view the document as well, but I am still looking for/prefer a local, non-connected to the internet solution.
MrKrawk

Postby John_Ha » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:08 am

The file appears to be a well formed .docx file with typical .docx structure. As you say, AOO gives the Filter Selection box.

LibreOffice opens the file without reporting any problem.

So it is a problem where AOO does not handle something (new??) in the .docx file.

Search on filter - there have been a number of recent posts about it, one of which was the final straw for me and caused me to change to LO. See Problem with .xlsx files not opening with AOO

When I opened it with LO and then attempted to save it as a Word 2007-365 .docx I got the following error message which strongly suggests that Microsoft has added something to later .docx files which AOO has not been (and I doubt ever will be) updated to handle, but which LO, which is still being developed, has been updated to handle.

Clipboard01.png
Original file opened with LO and saved as a .dpcx give this warning that content may - make that will! - be lost
Clipboard01.png (9.36 KiB) Viewed 379 times

The XML is the usual completely butchered mess one finds in .docx files where individual words in the same sentence are defined separately. There are many lines like below in the file which I don't recognise.

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
<w:p w:rsidRPr="00ED5B30" w:rsidR="00D33B28" w:rsidP="00C40FFB" w:rsidRDefault="00D33B28" w14:paraId="5DAB6C7B" wp14:textId="77777777" xmlns:wp14="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/word/2010/wordml">

Using LO I saved it as a Word 2007-365 file test.docx. AOO successfully opened the file as, no doubt, the "new" stuff had been removed by LO. This suggests LO can read (and perhaps ignore?) the "new" stuff but cannot save it.

See [Tutorial] Differences between Writer and MS Word files for a description of differences of the problems. Note that a LO .docx file does not save some .docx content.

I could see no visual difference between the original file and test.docx. I used Word on the web in my Dropbox account to open the file and it still looked the same.

However document.xml in test.docx had shrunk from the original 116kB to a mere 54kB so over half the XML was stripped out. The lines I did not recognise above had all gone.

Edit: The problem appears to be because the file has RSID tags and AOO does not open a file with RSID tags.

See Re: Downloading and opening .docx files for a similar problem.

See What’s up with all those “rsids”? which says RSID tags were introduced in 2003.

As many folks who worked with the 2003 wordprocessingML format have probably noticed by now, there are is a new set of attributes/elements in the Open XML wordprocessingML format that shows up all over the place. I'm talking about RSIDs.

The rsid element is used to allow applications to more effectively merge two documents that have forked.

Attachments
THE INVISIBLE MAN Media Advisory FINAL.docx
Original .docx file
(70.5 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
test.docx
File saved by LO can be opened by AOO.
(59.36 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Postby MrKrawk » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:29 am

Thanks John for the detailed explanation. So presumably Open Office will not support this specific format in the future based on what 'features' you indicate are in this document? And these 'features' are part of MS Office? Are there any pitfalls I should concern myself about if I grab Libre Office? (Presumably a Windows version is available?) I am not a real proponent to MS office now that it no longer comes on disc and typically is a subscription based service.
Any idea as to why if I visit the original link in my older version of Firefox as to why it displays the document without issue? I do not have any specific plug ins that I can think of that would view this document, so is FF possibly using Google Docs or something? Or does the web page use a different handler?
MrKrawk

Postby Zizi64 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:17 am

Try the LibreOffice. I can open, edit, and save/convert your document with my LO 6.2.8 version.
Always use the International Standard, fully documented ODF file formats.

THE INVISIBLE MAN Media Advisory FINAL.odt
(76.37 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO6.1.6, 6.2.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-6.4.5;AOO4.1.7
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Return to Writer