Fonts not available

Discuss the word processor
BobSaidHi

Fonts not available

Post by BobSaidHi »

Hello,
I've been having this issue for awhile on various computers. When I got to change the font, certain fonts, such as "Courier" regualr to not show up even though they are visible in the font control panel. Does anyone know how to fix this?
OpenOffice 4.1.6/ Windows 7/8
RoryOF

Re: Fonts not available

Post by RoryOF »

If you use another application, perhaps WordPad, are the fonts showing in that?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Remember that the font showing in the Writer font drop-down selection box is the font the document is asking for.

If the font being asked for is not installed on the PC, Windows (or other operating system) will silently substitute a different font which is available, and use that substitute font to display the text.

The TestFonts add-on is invaluable for finding missing fonts which the document is asking for, but which are not installed on the PC.

You can see which fonts are installed on a Windows PC by Start > Control Panel > Fonts or by clicking C:\Windows\Fonts.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
BobSaidHi

Post by BobSaidHi »

The font does show up in Wordpad. Edit: The font addon did not detect any issues when I created a document and set the font to courier, even though it was clearly displaying as courier new.
OpenOffice 4.1.6/ Windows 7/8
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

A Google search finds discussions about the the Courier font not showing up in the drop down list in MS Word. Those discussions may help explain why the Courier font does not show up on some systems. As I understand it, Courier doesn't show up in the drop down list if the system doesn't have a printer driver that supports printing of Courier. I don't have Windows, so I can't test this.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Use Courier New.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.