Wrong "File Modified" Date using Writer

Discuss the word processor
FreddieVee

Wrong "File Modified" Date using Writer

Post by FreddieVee »

I am using Windows 10 (Version 1903) on an Asus Laptop. I'm using OpenOffice v4.1.7. When I save a Writer Document in a Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) format, the "File Modified" Date is over 10 years old. When I save a Writer file in an .odt format, the date is correct.

On my Windows 7 Laptop, saving a Writer file either way gives me the correct "File Modified" Date, but when I copied a Writer file saved in a Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) format to my Windows 10 Laptop, the "File Modified" Date became blank.

Anyone have a suggestion for a fix? Is this a known bug?

Thank You,
FreddieVee
Open office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Wrong "File Modified" Date using Writer

Post by Zizi64 »

When I save a Writer Document in a Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) format
Do not do it!

There are many base dates that was uses since the beginning of the computer ages. The actual date is a counter (seconds, or days or others) the value of the counter means the actual date-time, and the value is depends on the base date.

The AOO and the LO can handle three base dates:

1899-12-30
1900-01-01
1904-01-01
Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP (.doc) format
It is a foreign, never standardized, obsolete file format. Never use it!
Maybe the decreased date was a "workaround trick" for the Y2000 problem in the poorly documented Word 97 format. Nobody know it today.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Can you upload sample files here?
An .odt type one that was created in your AOO version, and a .doc type version of same file, that was converted in your AOO version.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

AOO doesn't update the modified date when saving in DOC format:

Issue 66570 - WW8: File Properties LastSaved date field not updated when exported
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Workaround: Save the file in.odt format to update the modified date, then Immediately save the file in doc format, overwriting the existing doc file.
FreddieVee

Post by FreddieVee »

Bill wrote:Workaround: Save the file in.odt format to update the modified date, then Immediately save the file in doc format, overwriting the existing doc file.
Thank You, but I tried that and it didn't update in the file details, but when I hover my mouse pointer over the file name, the correct date & time shows.

I like to sort my files by date modified at times.

FreddieVee

PS: I tried the same experiment with my other Windows 10 PC (same version of Win10 & same version of AOO) and the files updated normally (Correctly). It also works correctly with my Windows 7 Laptop using the same version of AOO.

The "PS" was added by edited the post.
Open office 4.1.2 on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

My previous comments were about the modified date stored internally by AOO and displayed when you select File > Properties in AOO. For me, that date is not updated when saving in DOC format. However, the date displayed in the file managers (Dolphin on Manjaro and Caja on Ubuntu Mate) is updated. I don't have a version of Windows to test what happens in the file manager in Windows.
FreddieVee wrote:
Bill wrote:Workaround: Save the file in.odt format to update the modified date, then Immediately save the file in doc format, overwriting the existing doc file.
Thank You, but I tried that and it didn't update in the file details, but when I hover my mouse pointer over the file name, the correct date & time shows.
That sounds like the date is being updated, but the file manager needs to be refreshed. I do recall that the file manager in Windows 10 did need to be refreshed quite often because files were still displayed after they were deleted.